Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attacked taxi driver gets speeding fine

Go down

Attacked taxi driver gets speeding fine Empty Attacked taxi driver gets speeding fine

Post by Aftab Mon 26 Mar 2007 - 4:53

Attacked taxi driver gets speeding fine

Attacked taxi driver gets speeding fine Th126320075speedingtaxiau4
John Anthony was advised to appeal due to the circumstances of the incident

A taxi driver was fined for speeding while he was being attacked in his cab by a drunken passenger.

Cabbie John Anthony was flashed by a camera doing 38mph as he sped towards his taxi base for help after the passenger started making threats and kicking John's seat.

The 40-year-old, of Westgate, Leyland, reported the terrifying incident to police - but still had to pay £85 for a speed awareness course.

The incident happened at Fox Lane, Leyland, as John, a cabbie of eight years' experience with a clean licence, desperately tried to reach the Leyland Taxi base on Hough Lane to get help.

After arriving back at base he called the police, who attended and allowed the unruly passenger to walk home after a warning.

John admitted he was speeding but was advised to appeal due to the circumstances of the incident.

However, officers have refused to overturn the ticket, saying the situation did not "excuse the offence".

The furious dad-of-three, who is appealing against the decision in court on April 5, said: "The passenger was threatening to bite my ear off amongst other things, so I was anxious to get to safety.

"I couldn't go to the police station as it closes at night.

"What does a person have to actually endure to be let off I wonder?

"How, under the circumstances, was I even to think of the speed camera - let alone slow down for it?

"I defy the person that made the decision to stand under the same pressure as I was at the time.

"Police can go through speed traps in emergencies and not get fined, so why can't I?"

The incident happened in the early hours of October 8 last year.

John added: "The person who threatened me was allowed to walk home after the incident as long as he didn't come back to base and cause further trouble.

"I have not only been threatened, I have paid £85 to attend a speed awareness course to avoid three penalty points. I am the one being punished."

John's boss Phil Briggs added: "Personal safety must be at the top. If he felt in danger John was well within his rights to get help, even if he had to speed."

The letter, from the manager of the Lancashire Constabulary's fixed penalty department says: "Whilst I understand your situation at the time of the offence it does not excuse the offence of speeding and the notice stands."

A Lancashire Constabulary spokesman said: "We can't comment further until we know the results of any court case."

John added: "I pleaded guilty originally because I'm not denying it was me. But now I am pleading guilty with mitigation because I think it is more appropriate."

The case has been slammed by motoring groups.

Director of the RAC Foundation, Edmund King, said: "One of our biggest criticisms about cameras is inflexibility. At least traffic officers could judge the situation themselves, and prosecute if they thought necessary.

"But the transition to cameras means commonsense has gone out of the window and is replaced by robotic and deflexible enforcement."

Steve Johnson, from Drive and Survive, an advanced driving organisation, commented: "I would class it as an emergency situation - he was obviously fearing for his safety."
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down