Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sheffield Driver won't pay fine for mobile phone use

4 posters

Go down

Sheffield Driver won't pay fine for mobile phone use Empty Sheffield Driver won't pay fine for mobile phone use

Post by tony Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 10:13

Driver won't pay fine for mobile phone use

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Driver-wont-pay-fine-for.6035073.jp

Published Date: 03 February 2010
A SHEFFIELD motorist is refusing to pay a fine for using his mobile phone while driving – claiming he simply moved it from one side of the cab to another.
Leon Bufano was in a Renault Trafic van when he says he picked up the phone, which was in a door pocket, and moved it to the bench seat beside him.

But the action was spotted by a motorcycle cop on Halifax Road, Wadsley Bridge, who pulled him over and issued a £60 fine and three penalty points for using his mobile while driving.

Leon says he can prove he wasn't using the handset and plans to contest the fine in court.

The 44-year-old of Busk Park, Shirecliffe, said it had started raining but he wanted to keep the window open because he was smoking. So he moved the phone with his right hand to stop it getting wet. His left remained on the steering wheel, he claims.

Leon said: "The cop said, 'who are you texting?' and that I committed an offence as soon as I grabbed the phone. And if I went to court I might be done for driving without due care and attention.

"When I got home I thought it didn't sound right. I could have been moving a packet of cigarettes, it's ridiculous. Where do you draw the line?

"Another person might have accepted the fine because they were frightened and then an injustice would have been done. There must be a way of checking on the spot to avoid all this worry and paperwork."

Leon has asked for call and text records from mobile phone operator Vodaphone and plans to contest the ticket.

It is an offence to use a mobile phone while driving. The penalty is a £60 fine and three points. If the matter proceeds to court, the driver can face a driving ban and a fine of up to £1,000.

Head of roads policing in South Yorkshire, Chf Insp Andy Male, said: "Using a mobile phone while driving has serious road safety implications and is considered a serious offence.

"Every year we witness fatalities and serious collisions on our roads, not just in South Yorkshire, but up and down the country because some motorists continue to use their phones while driving and subsequently do not give the road and the hazards around them their full attention.

"Motorists who use their phones while driving not only pose a danger to themselves but to other road users and will be prosecuted accordingly.

"South Yorkshire Police work closely with, and present evidence to, the Crown Prosecution Service who ensure those who ignore the law are prosecuted accordingly."

tony

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-12-11

Back to top Go down

Sheffield Driver won't pay fine for mobile phone use Empty Re: Sheffield Driver won't pay fine for mobile phone use

Post by tony Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 10:15

I posted that as it seems our Admin missed it Laughing The phone episode is being contested but my point is, why was he smoking in his licensed vehicle and wouldn't the local authorities have something to say about that? Laughing
Slap another whatever fine it is for smoking ! Too many drivers phone and smike whilst driving in Sheffield.

tony

Back to top Go down

Sheffield Driver won't pay fine for mobile phone use Empty Re: Sheffield Driver won't pay fine for mobile phone use

Post by Licensing Section Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 5:28

Have I missed something here, where does it say that it was a licensed vehicle,??

Licensing Section

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by tony Mon 22 Feb 2010 - 16:36

Licensing Section wrote:Have I missed something here, where does it say that it was a licensed vehicle,??
Moved his phone from one side of his cab to the other!
tony wrote:Driver won't pay fine for mobile phone use

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Driver-wont-pay-fine-for.6035073.jp

Published Date: 03 February 2010
A SHEFFIELD motorist is refusing to pay a fine for using his mobile phone while driving – claiming he simply moved it from one side of the cab to another.
Leon Bufano was in a Renault Trafic van when he says he picked up the phone, which was in a door pocket, and moved it to the bench seat beside him.

But the action was spotted by a motorcycle cop on Halifax Road, Wadsley Bridge, who pulled him over and issued a £60 fine and three penalty points for using his mobile while driving.

tony

Back to top Go down

Post by Licensing Section Tue 23 Feb 2010 - 4:30

Not picking out small points but i believe it was the CAB of a VAN not a licensed vehicle, a Luton Traffic Van, ??? Its means the Cab at the front of the vehicle where the driver sits not a Hackney Cab.

Licensing Section

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmed Wed 24 Feb 2010 - 11:32

tony wrote:I posted that as it seems our Admin missed it Laughing 
Now I think I agree with Licensing and can see why our Admin missed it, oh dear Laughing

ahmed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by tony Thu 25 Feb 2010 - 4:48

Alright, I concede that you have a point, but you have to admit it was an honest mistake

tony

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Thu 25 Feb 2010 - 16:46

Although it wasn't a licensed cab driver but if he was a tradesman in his van then perhaps your point of smoking is still would be valid IMO but it probably is a big IF:lol:
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down