Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'My friend lost his life saving mine'

2 posters

Go down

'My friend lost his life saving mine' Empty 'My friend lost his life saving mine'

Post by Admin Sun 18 Mar 2007 - 9:33

'My friend lost his life saving mine'
55-year-old man hails taxi driver a hero.
A taxi driver who was killed while trying to fix a flat tyre has been hailed a hero for saving the life of his friend.

Mohammed Nawaz, 43, of Armstrong Drive, Bedford, died of multiple injuries on the A421 bypass near Great Barford on Friday, March 2.

But the Times & Citizen has been told this week that a split second earlier he had pushed close friend Mohammed Rafiq out of the way of the white Ford box van involved.

Mr Rafiq, 55, of Hurst Grove, Queens Park, who saw his friend of 26 years die in front of him, said: "He saved my life and is a hero. I owe my life to him."

The accident happened after Mr Nawaz had been travelling west from the A1 Black Cat roundabout towards Bedford, with a female passenger and her child.

He had pulled over at the side of the dual carriageway because his black Peugeot saloon had sustained a front off-side puncture.

Mr Rafiq was a passenger in a black Mercedes being driven not far behind by Mr Nawaz's brother Mohammed Taj, who stopped to help after spotting him – entirely by chance, it is said – at the side of the road.

Mr Rafiq, a father of seven, said: "We had been trying for ten minutes to get the wheel nut off with three different spanners, with no success. We were talking to each other and I was facing oncoming traffic and Nawaz was facing me.

"Then I saw a lorry come towards us and shouted. Nawaz took a quick glance behind him and he pushed me out the way.

"Next thing I know I am on the floor looking at Taj holding Nawaz in the middle of the road in a pool of blood. Taj said something like: "He is gone."

Mr Nawaz was pronounced dead at the scene after unsuccessful resuscitation attempts by the van driver and paramedics.

Mr Rafiq was treated at Bedford Hospital South Wing for three broken ribs, a broken collarbone, punctured lung and internal bleeding.

He said: "A good man has been taken from us. If I hadn't been pushed out the way, there could have been more deaths on the road.

"Nawaz had warned me that one day somebody would be killed here. That should have been me that died that day.

"Nawaz was like my brother, he was my lifelong friend. I still cannot believe he is gone as when I close my eyes I still see him here."

More than 1,300 packed the Jamia Masjid Gulshan Baghdad Mosque in Westbourne Road for Mr Nawaz's funeral last week, and his body was then flown back to Pakistan.

He leaves wife Tazeem and son Safi, 21.

Bedfordshire Police still want to speak to anyone who may have seen the accident. Call officer-in-charge PC John Smith on 01234 842459 with any information.
18 March 2007
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

'My friend lost his life saving mine' Empty Re: 'My friend lost his life saving mine'

Post by Aftab Sun 18 Mar 2007 - 19:07

Sad death of a fellow tradesman, but isn't he the one posted about earlier where 1300 people turned out for his funeral?
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

'My friend lost his life saving mine' Empty Re: 'My friend lost his life saving mine'

Post by Admin Sun 18 Mar 2007 - 19:14

Yup, I stand corrected, the same unfortunate chap. I just scan the news and post anything that may be of interest so didn't make the connection ealier, otherwise would have posted there as a reply.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down