Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taxi ranks signage

5 posters

Go down

Taxi ranks signage Empty Taxi ranks signage

Post by Aftab Tue 23 Mar 2010 - 2:37

I refer to Hypester's question in the QnA with Licensing section about Taxi Ranks signage. Since we can't discuss topics on there I thought I point this out on here:
hypester wrote:Just wondering why taxi ranks are not marked like bus stops instead they have notices so small i need a magnifying glass to read.

Only asking as during my 3 LOVELY years on the job im constantly asked "is this a taxi rank."

Yes most people know where ranks are but Tourists dont!!!!!.

The only Rank that looks like a rank is on Barkers Pool.

Wouldn't it look nice with a Board and the lovely letter T on it.

Should not be too expensive as most ranks have the post on there already!!!

Just a thought!!!!!
As far as I recall there was a survey carried out a couple of years ago and one of the recommendations was just this point of better signs to identify the taxi ranks and also to point to where the taxi ranks are from other locations. Maybe Licensing have better info on that if anything at all is happening about that?
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Taxi ranks signage Empty Re: Taxi ranks signage

Post by tony Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 15:22

Sitting on ranks is so yesterday and no way to provide a service. Open your horizons like the new member sheffdriver says. You need to have some pulling together to work as a team to get anywhere near the level of service of our lads on Private Hire.

tony

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by hypester Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 1:46

Are you for real. So if we dont sit on Ranks are we suppose to drive around like on Friday and Saturday nights.

The whole city centre would be congested with cabs.

Also for your information regular customers insist on going to Ranks.

We are so yesterday, because we let you PH come and Goose our jobs at the weekend. Thats great team work, No difference to Network drivers.

hypester

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by tony Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 11:37

looks like a raw nerve has been struck my friend. I was making the point that black cab trade has tried to keep things as they are not wishing to change with the times. Evidence is there for you to see. What has changed in the way the cab drivers work over the past fifty years and look how much private hire has moved on.

Black cabs have not tried to change but resisted change for the sake of an easy life for themselves and forgot that the customer is not there just to give them an easy life but demands service. Compare your selves to London taxi drivers and perhaps you'll see what I mean, those lads have moved with the times as well as keeping traditions.

I don't understand why you brought goosing into it as that is only a minor problem compared to the real reason why you lads have lost business. Overcharging, not knowing where they are going, bad attitude towards customers, dangerous driving (dangerous U turns and speeding) cherry picking jobs are to name a few. Sort that little lot out and you might have a business that makes money.

tony

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmed Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 13:04

I feel for both you chaps there Hypester and Tony both of you make some valid points. The taxi trade is the black cab trade and the traditional way of providing the service is from the taxi ranks. That said it is about time the cab trade get their act together and compete for work, or lose it for good. Quality of service can improve tenfold by taking just a few simple steps to bring the idiot brigade into line. The town hall only grab those who are reported to them but we can put pressure on those who don't get reported to sort themselves out or we might do it for them. The rogue element has to be weeded out for the sake of whole of the trade. Getting out of the cab to open the door, to be polite and curteous, to brush up on the law regarding our trade can be done without expense or effort.

ahmed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by hypester Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 14:07

1st. Overcharging happens in PH and Hackney. Especially when PH goose.

2. Not knowing where they are going same again! PH and Hackney
Most are new drivers or robbing thieves..

3. Bad attitude to customers. Same again PH and Hackney

4. Dangerous driving. Applies again to PH and Hackney. Go dowwn the parkway after midnight on the weekend.

5. Cherry picking. Same again Ph and Hackney. Check with City cars how many drivers knock back jobs on Radio.

This trade will not improve because everyone is out for themselves.

Best example i have is Marshalls Minibus. Everyone complains that he is illegally picking up and should be taken of the road.

But after work on the weekend you will see Network drivers,city and Mercury drivers boasting to Hackney drivers how much they made by goosing. Its ok to goose if they are your brother, uncle relative etc. Will they get reported...NO I DONT THINK SO....!!!!

hypester

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by stf Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 17:43

This is going a little way off the topic title but hey at least we can bring things in the open and that is good. The two cannot be compared like for like Hypester my friend. When a ph driver does something wrong, the customer has a choice of complaining to a taxi firm (and often it's sorted) but when a hackney driver does something wrong then they simply blame all the black cab trade and not just the firm City or Mercury or whichever firm it was. So all in all Hacks have more to lose in the reputation stakes by the minority who abuse the customer trust.
 I agree with your other point Hypester of cab drivers not objecting to their cousins and friends goosing but still have the nerve to moan about there being no work. It's about time they were reminded of howmuch it's costing all of us to ignore the issue. 

stf

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down