Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taxi Rank (signs)

2 posters

Go down

Taxi Rank (signs) Empty Taxi Rank (signs)

Post by hypester Mon 22 Mar 2010 - 3:48

Just wondering why taxi ranks are not marked like bus stops instead they have notices so small i need a magnifying glass to read.

Only asking as during my 3 LOVELY years on the job im constantly asked "is this a taxi rank."

Yes most people know where ranks are but Tourists dont!!!!!.

The only Rank that looks like a rank is on Barkers Pool.

Wouldn't it look nice with a Board and the lovely letter T on it.

Should not be too expensive as most ranks have the post on there already!!!

Just a thought!!!!!

hypester

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-26

Back to top Go down

Taxi Rank (signs) Empty Re: Taxi Rank (signs)

Post by Licensing Section Mon 29 Mar 2010 - 7:06

This is a very good question, and I won't try and cover up that actually I am unsure of the real answer to this. Signage for this was muted in the last survey and brought up by Officers when signs are put up for the public in the City Centre, the brown information signs that allow the walking public to locate the train station, theatres and shopping areas, I have asked why Taxi,s ranks have not been included, and I am afraid to say that I think once agian this has been a massive oversight of parts of the Council, not realising what a major part of the transport infastructure of the City that taxis (and private hire ) make up.

As for signs at the individual ranks, like a bust stop sign, i have to be honest and say that I am not aware of the traffic signage regulations about this but will ask the questions of the appropriate people, it may be that there are minimum and maximum signs for certain regulations, and also we have to think of hazards to passers by, if the sign is so high to avoid contact or vandalism then would it be of any use, ? Sorry the answer is not very conclusive but I will endeavour to find out more for you,

Licensing Section

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down