Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neon cab signs may fade into past

Go down

Neon cab signs may fade into past Empty Neon cab signs may fade into past

Post by Admin Fri 7 Mar 2008 - 2:50

Neon signs that grace the top of private hire vehicles could disappear under controversial new plans unveiled by Black Country transport chiefs.

Council bosses in Wolverhampton say the eye-catching rooftop signs are simply not a necessity because those drivers do not ply for hire.

It is also believed they cause confusion between private hire vehicles and black cabs. But the proposals have angered some taxi companies, which fear that they could have implications for public safety.

They argue passengers might not recognise their vehicles from normal cars.

Neil Caley, owner of ABC Countdown based in Raby Street, All Saints, said today his drivers were against the move. “My views are mainly about public safety but there are several reasons why I do not think this will work and all of our 140 drivers agree,” added Mr Caley.”If someone calls a taxi from a block of flats, then how on earth are they going to see a taxi from up there?

“It was the council that said we should have these signs on our taxis around eight years ago and now they want us to take them off - it just does not make any sense,” said Mr Caley.

“I would like to know what the people of Wolverhampton think of this because I am sure they would rather see clearly marked taxis,” he added.

An anonymous taxi driver who contacted the Express & Star added: “I think it is a bad idea, especially with people getting into unmarked taxis and either getting charged a fortune or in worse cases, abused.”

Instead of the rooftop signs, the council thinks private hire bosses could simply put logos on the side of their vehicles.

Tim Clark, spokesman for the council, said: “Private hire vehicles should not be hailed in the street so it is questionable why it is necessary for them to have illuminated yellow signs on their rooftops which can cause confusion with black cabs.

“Department of Transport guidelines state that rooftop signs on private hire vehicles are not considered best practice.”

A decision on the matter will be taken during April.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down