Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bigger taxis set to swell city's ranks

Go down

Bigger taxis set to swell city's ranks Empty Bigger taxis set to swell city's ranks

Post by Admin Fri 5 Oct 2007 - 7:56

Bigger taxis set to swell city's ranks
ANDREW PICKEN
TRANSPORT REPORTER (apicken@edinburghnews.com)

BIGGER taxis are set to hit Edinburgh's streets after restrictions on the width of the city's black cabs were relaxed.Bigger taxis set to swell city's ranks En04taxbwq8

The new rules are expected to see more six-seater taxis - as opposed to the traditional five-seat Hackney cabs - introduced.

The larger taxis also promise to provide easier access for wheelchairs.

The existing rules limit cabs to a width of 1.8 metres, but that is about to change to two metres.

The new ruling means cabbies will have a choice of three six-seater taxis rather than just one, with more expected to come on to the market.

The move is not expected to spell the end of the traditional cabs - even though they are more expensive than the new models - as many owners see the classic design as a strong selling point.

All the new taxis are still subject to the long list of conditions, including a minimum storage space, that traditional black cabs have to meet.

Council officials will have to check the city's taxi stances to ensure they can all fit the wider cabs or whether minor alterations may be needed in some places.

The changes have been welcomed by many in the taxi trade despite concerns the wider cabs may have problems in some narrow streets.

Jim Muldoon, the Edinburgh representative of the Scottish Taxi Federation, which represents the vast majority of the city's cabbies, said: "I think this will be welcomed in the taxi trade and by the general public. This relaxation of the restrictions means we are likely to see a wider assortment of taxis on the city's streets.

"But I don't think there is any danger of the traditional black cab disappearing.

"There were some concerns raised about the bigger taxis getting into the smaller streets such as the colonies but I don't see it as being a huge issue."

Raymond Davidson, secretary of the Edinburgh Taxi Association, said: "I think the councillors realise that it is a different world now to when the black cabs were first introduced. The roads have changed, people's attitudes and travel patterns have changed and we need a taxi fleet to reflect that.

"I think a lot of the drivers will go for the new Peugeot E7 model now that the width restrictions have changed."

Last summer, councillors agreed to remove a condition that taxis had to be able to perform U-turns in narrow streets.

Only one company in Britain currently manufactures vehicles that are able to swing round in this one tight movement. The old rule had meant London Taxis International, which designs the traditional black cabs, had an effective monopoly in the Capital.

But the change opened up the chance for other manufacturers to enter the Edinburgh market.

Until now only one cab, the six-seater Peugeot E7, was allowed. However, the latest rule change opens the door to a new version of the E7 and the Mercedes M8. City leader Jenny Dawe, who chairs the council's policy committee that approved the new width restrictions, said: "This was a sensible move that appears to have wide support judging by the number of supporting deputation to the committee.

"I think it was important that we didn't take the width restriction to its limits at 2.55 metres, because that is as wide as a bus and not really appropriate."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down