Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harsh airport taxi rules create a split in the ranks

Go down

Harsh airport taxi rules create a split in the ranks Empty Harsh airport taxi rules create a split in the ranks

Post by Aftab Sat 3 May 2008 - 6:43

Harsh airport taxi rules create a split in the ranks

ON Friday , Edinburgh Airport was awash with cars burning scarce fuel. I guessed it was taking at least half an hour to get in and out.
To half the taxi trade's disgust, BAA were not allowing some black cabs who were for hire to pick up what I estimated was at least 100 customers. This, I feel, was another way of BAA failing customers for the sake of profit.

the whole taxi trade had access to the airport taxi rank and the rank was running well and was fair to all black cab drivers.

What BAA did was, for the sake of profit, put up the rank for tender. This has split the taxi trade right down the middle.

City Cabs and Central Taxis joined forces to create Forward Travel, which won the tender and only their operators and drivers can pick up cash fares.

To work the airport I would now have to pay either company a £6000 joining fee, £300-plus a year to work the airport, £1.50 a pick-up and take a radio that I don't want at a cost of £5000 a year. Greedy or what? And how can their operators afford these profiteering costs? I am not making enough to justify this outlay.

I feel with all the roadworks, high fuel prices, and tram works that taxi drivers face, BAA should scrap the set-up at the airport and put the customer first.

The Competition Commission is currently looking at BAA. Well, here is another case where there is profit before service.

No-one can blame City Cabs or Central Taxis for tendering – the blame lies solely at BAA's feet.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down