Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taxi Testing Report (Back at Licensing Board)

+3
tony
sheffph
Licensing Section
7 posters

Go down

Taxi Testing Report (Back at Licensing Board) Empty Taxi Testing Report (Back at Licensing Board)

Post by Licensing Section Fri 8 May 2009 - 7:10

The report that was presented to the Licensing Board on 7th April 09, stated that the Board wished for the Council Officers to look into the tendering and contracting out for two additional test centres to run inconjunction with the current suppliers. This had a previso, that if the current supplier was unable to maintain a service under the new proposals the matter must be referred back to them at the earliest opportunity.

The Management of the current suppliers have informed the Licensing Section that they would be unable to provide any service at a reduced income, and therefore would not provide a taxi testing service.

For this reason the Assistant Cheif Executive has called an emergency board hearing for this matter to be placed before the Board as they requested. This meeting will be held on the 14th May 2009 at 10.00am.

Licensing Section

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Taxi Testing Report (Back at Licensing Board) Empty Re: Taxi Testing Report (Back at Licensing Board)

Post by sheffph Mon 11 May 2009 - 1:50

Why can we not have a system like Leeds? Our council loves free market so let any MOT centre do the MOT test, and have one smaller setup just to check out compliances, all quick and easy for all rather than be restricted to two?

sheffph

Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Taxi Testing Report (Back at Licensing Board) Empty Re: Taxi Testing Report (Back at Licensing Board)

Post by Licensing Section Mon 11 May 2009 - 5:58

The new stations need not issue a MOT as currently the MOT is issued as drivers faced problems with getting tax for their vehicles with just a compliance certificate, The new tester will test to the compliance standard as set by the Council, if they issue a MOT certificate as well that would be up to them. The trade associations were worried that if they would have to pay double if the test centres didnt issue a MOT as part of the process as is currently the arrangement.

Licensing Section

Back to top Go down

Post by sheffph Thu 14 May 2009 - 9:53

Any update on what happened today at the meeting please?

sheffph

Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by tony Sun 17 May 2009 - 13:47

Licensing Section wrote:The new stations need not issue a MOT as currently the MOT is issued as drivers faced problems with getting tax for their vehicles with just a compliance certificate, The new tester will test to the compliance standard as set by the Council, if they issue a MOT certificate as well that would be up to them. The trade associations were worried that if they would have to pay double if the test centres didnt issue a MOT as part of the process as is currently the arrangement.
I didn't know that part of it thanks Licensing. So in effect the new garages being sought are for compliance test only, and if they are only doing compliances then surely they can drop the price to a more reasonable figure and we can then go and have MOT done from elsewhere. It may work out more efficient for all of us.

How long is to go before Staniforth Road close shop on us?

tony

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Tue 16 Jun 2009 - 16:47

It is posted somewhere else on the forum that the process of appointing other up to seven testing centres is already underway, but likely to take time
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Thu 27 Aug 2009 - 22:47

[quote="tony"][quote="Licensing Section"]The new stations need not issue a MOT as currently the MOT is issued as drivers faced problems with getting tax for their vehicles with just a compliance certificate, The new tester will test to the compliance standard as set by the Council, if they issue a MOT certificate as well that would be up to them. The trade associations were worried that if they would have to pay double if the test centres didnt issue a MOT as part of the process as is currently the arrangement.

If MOT is not that important then why Licensing would not issue a plate without it. They state that an MOT together with REG. document and compliance cert. MUST be produced before a licence is renewed and plate is issued.

hassan0105

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Licensing Section Fri 28 Aug 2009 - 3:27

To Answer Hassan0105 that is because currently both are issued together at the same test and time and at the same test centre, also the current Compliance certifcate only covers the "extra tests" done above the MOT it is possible to fail one or the other. If the testing regimes changes and the Tests centres issued a Compliance Certificate having conducted a full compliance test then the Licensing Section will only have to see the Compliance Certificate, and we will adjust the letters for renewal of licences. If and when the changes take place.

Licensing Section

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Fri 28 Aug 2009 - 9:54

Licensing Section wrote:To Answer Hassan0105 that is because currently both are issued together at the same test and time and at the same test centre, also the current Compliance certifcate only covers the "extra tests" done above the MOT it is possible to fail one or the other. If the testing regimes changes and the Tests centres issued a Compliance Certificate having conducted a full compliance test then the Licensing Section will only have to see the Compliance Certificate, and we will adjust the letters for renewal of licences. If and when the changes take place.

Thank you Licensing for above post. Why then make more complicated? why not leave it as is for new tests centres OR IS IT MADE COMPLICATED TO PUT OFF OTHER TEST CENTRES TO APPLY FOR TENDER SO TESTING OF VEHICLE COULD BE KEPT AT THE CORRUPT STANIFORTH ROAD !

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Sun 30 Aug 2009 - 12:22

No Hassan, the Staniforth Road Testing Station is due to close for taxi testing and it's their decision to do so. That place is not in the running for testing any more. In fact it was their decision to close that has lead to this situation of re-arranging the testing regime. Hope that helps.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmed Sun 30 Aug 2009 - 22:25

As always sticking up for the authorities Mr Aftab?Laughing They are corrupt at Staniforth Road, or at least they were when I was on taxis. I have to admit the guy who I knew was crooked has since left that place so the new guys may well be clean but suspicion is always there init?

ahmed

Number of posts : 224

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 10:47

Aftab wrote:No Hassan, the Staniforth Road Testing Station is due to close for taxi testing and it's their decision to do so. That place is not in the running for testing any more. In fact it was their decision to close that has lead to this situation of re-arranging the testing regime. Hope that helps.

Brother Aftab, The pressure from Trade and some licensees opening stating what is going on at Staniforth Road Testing Centre is leading to alternative Test Centres. Staniforth Road was not closing but that have said that IF LICENSING APPOINT OTHERS TO TEST TAXIS THEN THEY WILL NOT BE TESTING< another wards they want monoploy on testing these vehicles.
This is how I understood from various sources. I only heard from you Aftab that it is Staniforth Road own decision to close down.

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 10:52

ahmed wrote:As always sticking up for the authorities Mr Aftab?Laughing They are corrupt at Staniforth Road, or at least they were when I was on taxis. I have to admit the guy who I knew was crooked has since left that place so the new guys may well be clean but suspicion is always there init?

I DON NOT KNOW ANY TAXI OWNER/ DRIVERS WHO WILL NOT AGREE WITH YOU. WHY THEY DONNOT COME OUT AND TELL THE FACTS?
STANIFORTH ROAD HAS BEEN LIKE THIS FOR AT LEAST TWO DECADES.

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by tony Wed 2 Sep 2009 - 3:05

Hi Ahmed, don't be harsh mate, Aftab has always been unbiased, and you know it owd pal. If there was proof of anything wrong at Staniforth Road then wouldn't that have come out before now. Especially when for some time I remember Licensing guys used to be down there at test centre, and yet the bribery accusations were being made even then. Are you suggesting it's not something only the disgruntled drivers who's cabs fail, make, and that it's a widespread common practice? I think not.

There might have been some favoritism, as always is the case with people you are familiar with but bribery is much more a serious label to put on people without substantiated proof.

tony

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 2 Sep 2009 - 22:01

hassan0105 wrote:
I DON NOT KNOW ANY TAXI OWNER/ DRIVERS WHO WILL NOT AGREE WITH YOU. WHY THEY DONNOT COME OUT AND TELL THE FACTS?
That is the problem you are faced with. People will always vent their anger by expressing doubt about other's honesty, but will not then follow it up with action, and that's usually because no proof exists of what they say, other than their own opinion. To accredit someone's opinion the status of fact is a dangerous move and such speculation should be avoided if at all possible.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 7:09

Admin wrote:
hassan0105 wrote:
That is the problem you are faced with. People will always vent their anger by expressing doubt about other's honesty, but will not then follow it up with action, and that's usually because no proof exists of what they say, other than their own opinion. To accredit someone's opinion the status of fact is a dangerous move and such speculation should be avoided if at all possible.

In principle i agree with you. But those 80 plus who gave in writing and those 200 plus who have confirmed in a meeting (arranged by City Council) at pmc. All they all wrong and is this not enough evidence? If authorities (including Police )do not take it further then what can you do or should we take the route of 'if you can not beat them join them'. most probably and rightly so took this route, only a few like myself did not join and the extra costs and hassle faced i some times regret not joining others- rightly or wrongly!

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 7:16

tony wrote:Hi Ahmed, don't be harsh mate, Aftab has always been unbiased, and you know it owd pal. If there was proof of anything wrong at Staniforth Road then wouldn't that have come out before now. Especially when for some time I remember Licensing guys used to be down there at test centre, and yet the bribery accusations were being made even then. Are you suggesting it's not something only the disgruntled drivers who's cabs fail, make, and that it's a widespread common practice? I think not.

There might have been some favoritism, as always is the case with people you are familiar with but bribery is much more a serious label to put on people without substantiated proof.

Hi Tony, are you noy aware of some 80 plus giving in writing to Licensing, and that meeting arranged by City Council at pmc some years back. Authorities failed to take any serious action. 200 plus people? are they all wrong or just disgruntled? no i do not think so. of course you entitled to your own opinion.
regards

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 9:26

hassan0105 wrote:In principle i agree with you. But those 80 plus who gave in writing and those 200 plus who have confirmed in a meeting (arranged by City Council) at pmc. All they all wrong and is this not enough evidence? If authorities (including Police )do not take it further then what can you do or should we take the route of 'if you can not beat them join them'. most probably and rightly so took this route, only a few like myself did not join and the extra costs and hassle faced i some times regret not joining others- rightly or wrongly!

I didn't realise till I read your post above that you did mean the issue that was gone through some years ago. I wasn't party to that and was temporarily away from the taxi trade doing other things at the time so I missed the furore then.Laughing Nor did I realise you had suffered in the event, and can understand why you would be emotionl over the issue Hassan0105. That said however, can we be certain that the same is carrying on today, as almost all of the testing staff has since been replaced?
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Licensing Section Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 6:11

Up date on the Licensing Board Policy that discussed the Complaince Testing and the tender for such testing services. The Board were advised that at the deadline for tenders only two tenders had been recieved and this was well below what the Licensing Board had requested in its meeting of June 2009. It was decided that the Chair of Licensing Board and the Cheif Licensing Officer do a short evaluation process on the two tenders and then report back to the next meeting to be held on 6th October 2009.

Licensing Section

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 9:34

Licensing Section wrote:Up date on the Licensing Board Policy that discussed the Complaince Testing and the tender for such testing services. The Board were advised that at the deadline for tenders only two tenders had been recieved and this was well below what the Licensing Board had requested in its meeting of June 2009. It was decided that the Chair of Licensing Board and the Cheif Licensing Officer do a short evaluation process on the two tenders and then report back to the next meeting to be held on 6th October 2009.

I am not suprised that only two have tendered. Although I have not seen the requirements for tender but been told that set up costs are too much, too many requirements and between 7 stations it will not be worthwhile as per above.

easier and sensible way is like some other authorities do - M.O.T. from any appointed station by DoT. After all any thing must be better and safer for the lincesees and the public then tests at Staniforth Road and legal.
Council's main obligation is to have thsese Vehicles Tested as best they can to insure health and safety of the public and help provide taxi service. Is that obligation fullfilled when there is so evidence against Staniforth Road?Council did nothing or very little- is this in the best interest of the taxi users, the licensees and the general public?
Any M.O.T. is better safer then Staniforth Road, after all, all the M.O.T centres are licensed by Department of Transport and most are more efficient, friendly, cheaper then the monopoly at Staniforth Road

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 9:50

Aftab wrote:
hassan0105 wrote:In principle i agree with you. But those 80 plus who gave in writing and those 200 plus who have confirmed in a meeting (arranged by City Council) at pmc. All they all wrong and is this not enough evidence? If authorities (including Police )do not take it further then what can you do or should we take the route of 'if you can not beat them join them'. most probably and rightly so took this route, only a few like myself did not join and the extra costs and hassle faced i some times regret not joining others- rightly or wrongly!

I didn't realise till I read your post above that you did mean the issue that was gone through some years ago. I wasn't party to that and was temporarily away from the taxi trade doing other things at the time so I missed the furore then.Laughing Nor did I realise you had suffered in the event, and can understand why you would be emotionl over the issue Hassan0105. That said however, can we be certain that the same is carrying on today, as almost all of the testing staff has since been replaced?

Thank you Aftab, Ask cab owners, their cabs almost always failed if they do not hire some 'mechanics' at a cost of around £40. One owner said that he cam to hackney trade recently and unaware of the unfair testing regime, he always tried to prepare his cab well but all time it failed on silly things , he then found out about these 'mechanics' next time he hired one thses 'mechanics' and did not spend so much as before and did prepare his cab as well as before but passed the test without any problem. I like to mention names of these 'mechanics' here, but not sure if it is right thing to do as per rules. I am not worried about these mechanics or Licensing or Staniforth Road, or the Law as what I have mentioned above are facts. There are hundreds of cabbies to confirm the above. if our so much caring Licensing Department chose to ignore so serious problems and do nothing or very little but only persive that it is the licencees faults and threaten them for their livehood i.e. suspend your licence etc. are they acting in best interst of the public!

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down