Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cab strike after drivers' arrests

Go down

Cab strike after drivers' arrests Empty Cab strike after drivers' arrests

Post by Admin Wed 23 Jul 2008 - 2:32

Cab strike after drivers' arrests

10:56am Tuesday 22nd July 2008
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/3223635.Cab_strike_after_drivers__arrests/
Cab strike after drivers' arrests Micklittlejpgdisplayju6
Mick Little, whose arrest by British Transport Police officers sparked a strike by Brighton taxi drivers

Angry taxi drivers have criticised police after two cabbies were arrested in a row over parking.

Brighton city centre was brought to a standstill on Friday night when scores of taxi drivers pulled up at busy ranks and got out of their cars in a two-hour protest at the arrests.

Scores of agitated revellers were left with no way of getting home as drivers refused to take passengers.

The walkout was sparked when two cabbies were arrested by British Transport Police officers outside Brighton station at about 11pm.

They had been queuing at a drop-off point in Queens Road to get on to the station rank when they were told to move from the double yellow lines .

One of the drivers, Mick Little, 54, said he was dragged out of his car by the officer and marched into the station for questioning.

Mr Little, from Peacehaven, said: “The rank was packed as usual so we were queuing to get in when the officer came over and started telling us to turn around. In that time a space had appeared so I asked why I couldn’t just drive into it.

“He said if I didn’t turn around he would arrest me.

It was so over the top it was just absurd.

“He dragged me out of the car and frogmarched me into the station. I was questioned for an hour and then given a £30 fine for causing an obstruction.

“It was only when I came out that I realised everyone had gone on strike in support.”

Another cabbie, who saw the incident and began arguing with the officer, was handcuffed and also taken into the station.

Other taxi drivers saw what was happening and word of the strike spread on radios and mobile phones.

Both the city centre’s main ranks, at the station and in East Street, were blocked by stationary cabs.

The stand-off lasted almost two hours before Sussex Police officers persuaded the taxi drivers to go back to work amid fears of escalating violence on the streets from drinkers unable to get home.

Last night taxi drivers said too many taxi licences are being issued.

At the station rank there are 17 parking spaces to cater for the 400 taxis that have passes.

Raj Vasanthen, who has been a cabbie in Brighton for 23 years, said: “This is an ongoing issue. There are too many cabs and too many passes for the station.

“It’s not ideal to queue just outside the station but if you turn and drive around for a bit you miss your slot to get into the rank. It’s no surprise something like this has happened.”

British Transport Police refused to comment.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down