Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TAXI DRIVERS HAIL STRIKE 'A GREAT SUCCESS'

Go down

TAXI DRIVERS HAIL STRIKE 'A GREAT SUCCESS' Empty TAXI DRIVERS HAIL STRIKE 'A GREAT SUCCESS'

Post by Admin Mon 19 Nov 2007 - 9:23

TAXI DRIVERS HAIL STRIKE 'A GREAT SUCCESS'

08:50 - 19 November 2007

Industrial action which saw more than 500 Dundee taxi drivers striking at the weekend was last night described as "a great success."

Taxi officials have also threatened more industrial action and disruption during the festive season if the city council still refuse to have a "sensible discussion".

Saturday's six-hour strike, which started at midnight, coincided with one of the biggest nights of the year with thousands of Scotland fans on the streets after the Italy game at Hampden.

Graeme Stephen, chairman of the Dundee Taxi Association, said: "I was delighted. I expected more like 350. When we realised how few taxis were working, we were delighted."

The strike was part of a long-running dispute with Dundee City Council.

Drivers' grievances include a lack of taxi rank spaces, the large number of licence plates issued and the high number of private hire drivers operating in the city.

"If the council still won't move then there will be a lot more strikes and rolling road blocks," he said. "With Christmas and New Year coming up, we have a few more surprises up our sleeve.

"Unless they approach us and say they have got something to offer, then we aren't going to get anywhere."

Dundee Lord Provost John Letford said: "A lot of people made different arrangements, such as family coming to pick them up. I know that some people were stopping and offering people lifts home. It certainly did not stop any of the activities in town."

He called on drivers to restart negotiations.

"We are ready and waiting for them to come back. Strike activity should be the last resort, not the first, which is just about what has happened."

Colin McPhail, from The Abode on St Andrew's Street, said: "There is no question about it, it had an effect on business.

"People left earlier with most going around 10.45pm to 11pm. It meant takings were 10% or 15% down on normal.

"My pub is located near the taxi rank and there was quite a fight for taxis before midnight. The volume of people standing waiting was quite concerning and it was clear people were worried about how they were going to get home."

Adam Kelly, who works at the Westport Bar on North Lindsay Street, said: "It didn't really seem to have that much of an impact.

"Some of the staff who live a bit further out had trouble getting home at the end of the night but most of our customers seemed to be okay."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down