Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Albans District Cabbie broke the rules

Go down

Albans District Cabbie broke the rules Empty Albans District Cabbie broke the rules

Post by Aftab Mon 18 Aug 2008 - 5:13

Friday 15th August 2008

AN unlicensed taxi owner has been prosecuted by St Albans District Council.

Mr Fiaz Sabir, of Biscot Drive, Luton, was convicted last Monday.

Magistrates described his evidence as lacking in substance or credibility after he was unable to provide details of who was driving his vehicle on May 24 last year.

Mr Sabir owned a hackney carriage vehicle but had not been issued a licence by the council.

Senior licensing officer Paul Holden said: “In this case I required the information to ensure that the person driving the hackney carriage was authorised to do so.

“I am very pleased with the result.I feel it sends out a clear message that we will take whatever action is necessary to protect the public.”

Mr Sabir was fined £100 and ordered to pay a contribution towards costs of £400.

Magistrates considered that he had lied, and told him that they had taken this into account when deciding on a sentence.

St Albans councillor Anthony Rowlands stressed that the council will continue to investigate and prosecute any offences related to taxi licensing.

He said: “Passenger safety is paramount. Taxi users are entitled to know that their driver is actually the person a licence has been issued to by the council.”

If you wish to make a complaint about a taxi driver, ring the licensing team on 01727 819453 or email licensing@stalbans.gov.uk
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down