Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taxi driver scoops £10,000 in radio phone-in

2 posters

Go down

Taxi driver scoops £10,000 in radio phone-in Empty Taxi driver scoops £10,000 in radio phone-in

Post by ahmed Thu 10 Apr 2008 - 11:10

Taxi driver scoops £10,000 in radio phone-in Th194200859tonyleightonua1
Winner ... Tony Leighton.

A TAXI driver couldn't believe his luck when he won more than £10,000 in a radio station competition.
Tony Leighton, 44, won £10,335 after Metro Radio offered listeners the chance to guess how much money was stashed in the boot of a Lansdowne Taxi, based in Newcastle, which has been touring the North East with two glamorous Metro Radio showgirls.

Listeners had to guess between £9,000 and £11,000 and Mr Leighton, of Sutton Way, South Shields, guessed correctly after his partner Janice Bell's daughter Hannah, nine, suggested the correct amount.

Mr Leighton, a driver for Westoe Taxis, said: "I
couldn't believe it. I cried my eyes out after the
initial shock wore off.

"We can now set a date to be married in June, and are looking at places we can go on our honeymoon. It really is fantastic."

Metro Radio lunchtime presenter Mark Thorburn said: "After hearing so many incorrect guesses, it came as a complete surprise when Tony said the right amount.

"I'm really pleased for Tony and Janice, it's great that the prize will be used in such a special way. I wish them all the best for their forthcoming wedding!"

Mr Leighton and Ms Bell have been together a year, and are now planning to move in together to start a new chapter in their lives.

Hannah doesn't ask for much for suggesting the right answer, however, saying "All I want is a new hamster cage for my hamster Honey."

Mr Leighton screamed down the phone when he heard he had won, and now has the scream as his ringtone.

ahmed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Taxi driver scoops £10,000 in radio phone-in Empty Re: Taxi driver scoops £10,000 in radio phone-in

Post by stf Thu 10 Apr 2008 - 16:27

Is it luck or just a good guess?

stf

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down