Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cabbie waits to hear on prosecution

5 posters

Go down

Cabbie waits to hear on prosecution Empty Cabbie waits to hear on prosecution

Post by Aftab Sat 19 Jan 2008 - 21:41

Cabbie waits to hear on prosecution

Cabbie waits to hear on prosecution Brettb20080117112557pe0
Scene of the crash

SUFFOLK cabbie Ron Grant still does not know whether he will be prosecuted after his taxi ran away and hit a pensioner - even though manufacturer Vauxhall is today sending out recall letters.

A 63-year-old woman was left with serious leg injuries after the accident in Felixstowe three months ago.

Vauxhall is looking at a number of complaints about Vectra cars rolling away due to allegedly ineffective handbrakes and today issued a fresh warning to owners to make sure they apply the handbrake fully and leave their cars in gear.

The company said today it believes the handbrake system used in the Vectra is safe.

However, it has decided to implement a modification to the handbrake mechanism to reduce the possibility of a partial release when the handbrake is not correctly set.

“Owners of 250,000 manual transmission Vectra and Signum models (produced from 2002) will receive a letter from the company requesting that they contact their nearest retailer to arrange for the modification, at no cost to the customer,” said a spokesman.

Police say their investigations to see if the vehicle had been left parked properly in Hamilton Road, Felixstowe, with its handbrake on or not, have still not been completed and it could be several weeks yet before a decision is made.

If they find the handbrake had not been pulled properly into place Mr Grant could face charges for not leaving his cab safe and secure.

A police spokeswoman said: “Our investigations are on-going at this stage and there is still a way to go. No charges have been brought yet.”

The woman was walking on the pavement at the top of Bent Hill when she was crushed against a wall. She was taken to Ipswich Hospital suffering fractured legs and a broken ankle.

Mr Grant, 66, a taxi driver for 23 years, had parked his vehicle outside Coastal Taxis while he picked up details of his work shifts.

He is adamant he put the handbrake on.

“I switched off the car, pulled on my handbrake, put on my hazard lights and locked the car - that's what I always do, it's my habit,” he said.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Cabbie waits to hear on prosecution Empty Re: Cabbie waits to hear on prosecution

Post by stf Sun 20 Jan 2008 - 8:01

Aftab wrote:

“I switched off the car, pulled on my handbrake, put on my hazard lights and locked the car
Well what's the problem. he had his hazzard lights on, so the bint should've known a hazzard was rolling her way. Rolling Eyes
Many drivers have had cars roll down hill whilst they have been sat inside it looking down at something inside the car. I've done it myself and find it's a bit fresh then to blame the manufacturer init?

stf

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Cabbie waits to hear on prosecution Empty Re: Cabbie waits to hear on prosecution

Post by Admin Sun 20 Jan 2008 - 17:49

You may have missed this bit in the above article
Vauxhall is looking at a number of complaints about Vectra cars rolling away due to allegedly ineffective handbrakes and today issued a fresh warning to owners to make sure they apply the handbrake fully and leave their cars in gear
This is not a lone incident.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmed Tue 22 Jan 2008 - 18:56

Our Lass had just parked up and still sat in our "Vauxhall" was surprised to see the empty car next to her moving slowly. She was still telling my daughter to look at that car rolling away when our "Vauxhall" stopped with a bump against the car behind, and turned out it was our car that was rolling and not the one next to it. Smile Smile
Now I know it wasn't my wife's fault at all cus "Vauxhalls" all roll away when you're not looking, and for proof read the article above.

ahmed

Number of posts : 224

Back to top Go down

Post by TX 1an Wed 23 Jan 2008 - 10:41

If you dont like the way a woman drives, stay off the pavement!

TX 1an

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Sun 27 Jan 2008 - 16:36

I am glad my missus doesn't drive anymore.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 29 Jan 2008 - 16:25

Vauxhall write to Vectra owners
29 January 2008 | 11:38

Cabbie waits to hear on prosecution Brettb20080128124946fj0
Vauxhall

OWNERS of Vauxhall cars in Suffolk were told today that they will soon receive letters giving them advice about their vehicles' handbrakes.

But the company stressed it was not recalling cars - and it would be up to owners if they wanted a free check and adjustment to the braking system in their Vectra and Signum cars.

Felixstowe cabbie Ron Grant is waiting to hear if he will be prosecuted after his Vectra ran away and smashed into a pensioner, leaving her seriously injured.

He is adamant he left the handbrake fully on when he parked his vehicle outside Coastal Taxis in Hamilton Road. Police are still investigating.

A spokesman for Vauxhall Motors Ltd said there had been a small number of complaints of Vectras and Signums rolling away due to allegedly ineffective handbrakes.

Engineers, along with consultant engineers, suppliers and other bodies, had conducted rigorous technical tests on those vehicles.

The tests found that when the handbrake is applied by depressing the release button, it is possible to manipulate the handbrake mechanism to cause it to release partially.

“Vauxhall believes that the handbrake system used in the Vectra and Signum is safe. However, Vauxhall treats all matters relating to the safety of its products as its highest priority,” said a company spokesman.

“In line with this priority and that of continuous improvement, Vauxhall has decided to implement, as a customer satisfaction programme, a modification to the handbrake mechanism to reduce the possibility of a partial release when incorrectly setting the handbrake.

“Owners of about 250,000 manual transmission Vectra and Signum models produced from 2002 will receive a letter from the company requesting that they contact their nearest retailer to arrange for the modification, at no cost to the customer.”

Whether an owner has their car modified or not, Vauxhall says if parking on a slope, drivers should engage a gear when the vehicle is stationary, and apply the handbrake without depressing the release button and the engine is switched off.

Letters had not been set out yet about the modification but would be as soon as parts were available.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down