Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can they force you to have a radio?

+7
waheed
Aftab
TX 1an
stf
Admin
vulcan
mat
11 posters

Go down

Can they force you to have a radio? Empty Can they force you to have a radio?

Post by mat Thu 17 Jan 2008 - 18:53

There is talk of cabs being forced to have taxi radios as a condition of license. What are your thoughts on that?
I think cabs should ply their trade on street and cars only work off radio, seems fair, what do you think?

mat

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-12-22

Back to top Go down

Can they force you to have a radio? Empty Re: Can they force you to have a radio?

Post by vulcan Fri 18 Jan 2008 - 4:27

I cant see how they can manage this, having read the motions it reads silly, it states that Taxi should have radios and this should be a condition of new applications that they have a radio, Then they capped the numbers therefore there are no new applications, even if they did it on replacement vehicle apps it couls take 15 yrs to do every cab

vulcan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Can they force you to have a radio? Empty Re: Can they force you to have a radio?

Post by Admin Fri 18 Jan 2008 - 8:59

Good point Vulcan, and I believe council have the power to attatch any condition to the licence that they deem reasonable. The problem is the enforcement of the rule. It is the sentiment of encouraging taxi drivers to organise that I agree with but can't see this being a solution.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stf Fri 18 Jan 2008 - 9:53

vulcan wrote:I cant see how they can manage this, having read the motions it reads silly,......
That just about sums it up vulcan, it is silly. I can't see it standing up in a court of Law.
Admin, do they realy have power to actually do as they please on this issue?

stf

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 18 Jan 2008 - 10:13

47 Licensing of hackney carriages (1)

A district council may attach to the grant of a licence of a hackney carriage under the Act of 1847 such conditions as the district council may consider reasonably necessary.
Rolling Eyes
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TX 1an Fri 18 Jan 2008 - 11:04

Is it just a coincidence that the STTA is looking into setting up a radio circut?
You dont honestly belive that they have come up with the notion of forcing cabs to have radios and then offering them one of theirs? (cheap to members only)
Naw just coincidence. Innit?

TX 1an

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Sat 19 Jan 2008 - 2:56

scratch Hmmmmm...............??? bom Nahh they couldn't possibly get that low,......or can they?

I met a driver last night who assured me that the another setup is about to launch very soon, something to do with the pressure group that stood against this committee at the elections. His claim was that they have already aquired premisses and drivers would be expected to contribute some money in order to be part of this co-op firm. Anybody else know any more on this one?
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Sat 19 Jan 2008 - 3:03

vulcan wrote:I cant see how they can manage this, having read the motions it reads silly, it states that Taxi should have radios and this should be a condition of new applications that they have a radio, Then they capped the numbers therefore there are no new applications, even if they did it on replacement vehicle apps it couls take 15 yrs to do every cab
So from what you state vulcan, this issue is dead and burried due to the limit going on?
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 20 Jan 2008 - 16:58

I wonder if some guys are organised in working with likes of "taxi-call" then would that be regarded as having a radio or not?
Anyone?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vulcan Mon 21 Jan 2008 - 9:09

Aftab wrote:
vulcan wrote:I cant see how they can manage this, having read the motions it reads silly, it states that Taxi should have radios and this should be a condition of new applications that they have a radio, Then they capped the numbers therefore there are no new applications, even if they did it on replacement vehicle apps it couls take 15 yrs to do every cab
So from what you state vulcan, this issue is dead and burried due to the limit going on?

They have actually agreed to feed this down to the Licensing Board for consideration, according to the Labour motion so it will be decided at a Licensing Board meeting they may slightly change the wording and make it policy, but how would they enforce this how would the Licensing Officers enforce this would it be a suspendable offence on a nightime whilst sitting at a rank officer comes along, no radio plate off till radio installed ??? More questions than answers on this me thinks!!!!

vulcan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Mon 21 Jan 2008 - 17:28

A fitted radio is an easier condition to monitor than wheather that radio is tuned in to a particular frequency or not. It'll be interesting to see what happens, maybe it's not just the new taxi drivers who need to be educated about workings of this trade. Sometimes it makes me feel some of the councillors haven't a clue. scratch
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 22 Jan 2008 - 3:37

A local authority should be setting standards of quality through providing guidelines and training rather than telling the drivers how to do their job. From the newspaper articles written by one or two councillors recently, I agree with Aftab it points to a clear lack of understanding, so shouldn't be making up rules that they can't enforce.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waheed Tue 22 Jan 2008 - 15:44

This is already happining in Leeds according to my knowledge.

waheed

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by tony Tue 22 Jan 2008 - 17:50

waheed wrote:This is already happining in Leeds according to my knowledge.
I doubt if it's a condition of license that you must have taxi radios in Leeds, could you post a link to where you got this info please.

Last edited by on Tue 22 Jan 2008 - 17:52; edited 1 time in total

tony

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Thu 24 Jan 2008 - 4:11

I have heard of drivers setting up a co-op taxi company, and maybe that's what Waheed is refering to, in that STTA or other group could do something simmilar.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zee Thu 24 Jan 2008 - 16:01

Yeah right, said they were going to set up another forum website, but where is it ?

Zee

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by fairway1 Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 3:46

The website is now open frends. VERY NICE WEBSITE of all our taxi drivers.

fairway1

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Zee Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 6:55

Yes, i know its open now, but where is the information to keep me informed on a daily basis ?

Zee

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by sheffph Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 15:06

Ha ha...... he won't be back for a few weeks Zee, prbly too busy reading all the content of that vey nice website Laughing

sheffph

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down