Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A letter to Edinburgh Evening News- interesting views.

5 posters

Go down

A letter to Edinburgh Evening News- interesting views. Empty A letter to Edinburgh Evening News- interesting views.

Post by Admin Tue 1 Jan 2008 - 17:03

Should we hail new test for cabbies?

IT was with great amusement that I read your article regarding driving tests for new taxi drivers (Evening News, December 26).
It was unclear as to whether or not new drivers are to be taught the skills (for want of a better word) of existing taxi drivers.

If so, presumably classes will be run on how to block a one-way street unnecessarily, how to block a two-way street unnecessarily, how to do a U-turn without warning, or travel at speeds of up to 70mph in a restricted 30mph zone, how to rant and rave at members of the public should they obstruct them in any way, and how to drive down a street on the wrong side of the road in the dark with headlights on full beam, belching out ten tonnes of emissions from their exhaust pipes, (who MoTs these vehicles anyway?).

I have always been curious as to how they can commit numerous traffic violations yet be free from prosecution.

Any explanation?

John Belford, Caiystane Gardens, Edinburgh
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

A letter to Edinburgh Evening News- interesting views. Empty Re: A letter to Edinburgh Evening News- interesting views.

Post by Aftab Sun 20 Jan 2008 - 6:09

It's the uncomfortable truth that we do have people who take pride in doing all those things and claim they somehow have a right to do simply because they have a taxi badge. Embarassed This is where some form of formal training would make a difference.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

A letter to Edinburgh Evening News- interesting views. Empty Re: A letter to Edinburgh Evening News- interesting views.

Post by stf Sun 20 Jan 2008 - 7:56

John Belford, of Caiystane Gardens, Edinburgh is a blinkered idiot. Nothing more to be said Mad

stf

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 20 Jan 2008 - 17:53

Many drivers don't do this trade any justice, don't you agree stf? Wink
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TX 1an Mon 21 Jan 2008 - 10:34

I have to admit I am often embarrassed by some taxi drivers.
The ones that sit in the cab whilst the customer struggles in and out with thier luggage. The ones that block the road whilst the flag down gets in even tho a clear spot is 10 foot away, and my favourite pet hate: The one parked up, facing oncoming traffic with their hardlights on! Just a bit of common sense and maybe making people read the etiqiette page.
There Rant over.
on behalf of "John Belford, Caiystane Gardens, Edinburgh"

TX 1an

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Zee Mon 21 Jan 2008 - 15:06

I always get out out my cab to help customers with their shopping / luggage, not because i'm being helpful, but protecting my vehicles bodywork from dents / scratches.

Zee

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 22 Jan 2008 - 3:47

Zee wrote:I always get out out my cab to help customers with their shopping / luggage, not because i'm being helpful, but protecting my vehicles bodywork from dents / scratches.
That 's a good point Zee, tell them they are protecting their own cab rather than giving a polite service. Two birds with one stone scenario Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down