Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have-a-go hero cabbie fights off knifeman-Scotland

3 posters

Go down

Have-a-go hero cabbie fights off knifeman-Scotland Empty Have-a-go hero cabbie fights off knifeman-Scotland

Post by Aftab Mon 10 Dec 2007 - 2:19

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2007/12/10/newsstory10667636t0.asp
Have-a-go hero cabbie fights off knifeman

By Graham Huband

A HAVE-A-GO hero cab driver from Dundee last night spoke of the terrifying moment he fought off a knife-wielding man who was attempting to rob his taxi.

The Handy Taxis cabbie said he instinctively reacted when a male passenger pulled out an eight-inch long carving knife and held it to his throat yesterday morning.

The 48-year-old—who asked not to be named but has more than 25 years’ experience in the trade—bravely grabbed the blade and forced it away from his neck and towards his assailant.

At this point, a female passenger joined in the assault to ensure her accomplice was not hurt as the cab driver began to overpower him.

The pair fled after the taxi driver managed to wrestle the blade free from the man’s grasp.

The assault occurred as the taxi driver dropped off the pair at the former Shell garage on Strathmartine Road at Coldside at around 8am, having picked them up a few minutes earlier at the junction of Dens Road and Lyon Street.

The incident is similar to the attempted robbery of another taxi driver in Dykehead Place, Stobswell, in the early hours of Friday. However, the police have not established a link between the two crimes.

The driver told The Courier the attack would not stop him from working and he expected to be back on the road today.

He said he would have been back behind the wheel yesterday had it not been for the lacerations he sustained to his hands and the fact his cab had been left covered in blood.

The man was treated at Ninewells Hospital where he received stitches to a finger injury.

He said, “It was about ten to eight this morning when they flagged me down. The guy got in and sat behind me and the girl sat next to him.

“When I pulled in to let them off at the garage the guy put a blade round my throat.

“To be honest rather than being frightened the adrenaline kicked in and I was more annoyed that this cheeky little b****** was trying to rob me.

“I think that is probably the reason I had the strength to rip the blade out of his hand.

“The girl tried to get involved but she didn’t manage to do anything because by that time I had got the blade off him.

“They ran off and I would have chased them in the car but there was a bollard in the road and I couldn’t get turned.

“It was then I realised that I was cut to the extent I was, and I went to the office to get the first aid kit and some sort of dressing on my hand.

“I have got a few cuts and one on my left hand on my index finger. It is basically cut from the top joint to the inside of my finger but luckily enough it didn’t damage any of the tendons.”

Detectives are keen to speak to anyone who may have witnessed the incident or can identify the driver’s attackers from their descriptions.

The man is in his early 20s, about 5ft 8in and of slim build. He was wearing a dark coat with a hood and dark trousers.

His accomplice is in her late teens to early 20s, about 5ft 3in and of slim build. She was wearing a waist length beige/tan jacket with a hood.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Have-a-go hero cabbie fights off knifeman-Scotland Empty Re: Have-a-go hero cabbie fights off knifeman-Scotland

Post by Admin Tue 11 Dec 2007 - 16:59

could so easily have been a dead hero.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Have-a-go hero cabbie fights off knifeman-Scotland Empty Re: Have-a-go hero cabbie fights off knifeman-Scotland

Post by ahmed Fri 14 Dec 2007 - 1:09

Not many people can say what they'll do in situations like this, and some who would normally be terified end up putting up a great fight. We can all sit back and with benefit of hindsight say how dangerous it could have been but at the time you go on autopilot. I remember young Imran who was knifed at London Road takeaway, and put up a valiant fight only to collapse seconds later. No one realy knows how a knife fight is going to end but usually the knife wins so just take care and don't take silly risks.

ahmed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down