Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tendring: My MOT shock

Go down

Tendring: My MOT shock Empty Tendring: My MOT shock

Post by ahmed Fri 7 Dec 2007 - 1:12

December 6, 2007 Thursday

Tendring: My MOT shock

Dominic Bowers

Gazette

Hundreds of taxis could be driving around Tendring illegally, even though they have been issued with licences.

Jay Field, who runs St Osyth Taxis, realised the discrepancy when he was stopped by police.

They issued the 24-year-old with a summons because he does not have an MOT certificate.

Mr Field's seven-seater Peugeot is less than three years old and he did not think he needed one.

He has since learned the rules changed 24 years ago.

He claims the blame lies with Tendring Council as it issued him a licence.

"Me and hundreds of other drivers have been driving around illegally because of the council," he said.

"If they had told me I needed an MOT I would have got one."

The hackney carriage/private hire vehicles guidance on Tendring Council website says an MOT certificate is needed unless the vehicle is under three years old.

Tendring Council is holding its own investigation into whether this is the case, following Mr Field's complaint.

Nigel Brown, Tendring Council's communications manager, said: "It has been ascertained there is an European directive, issued in 1983, which requires all hackney carriage vehicles to be tested annually from one year old," said Mr Brown.

"The council is investigating whether this directive still applies."

ahmed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down