Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NVQ? Already on offer in Sheffield but read about Bristol

+2
Admin
Aftab
6 posters

Go down

NVQ? Already on offer in Sheffield but read about Bristol Empty NVQ? Already on offer in Sheffield but read about Bristol

Post by Aftab Thu 15 May 2008 - 17:31

TESTING TIMES FOR CITY TAXI DRIVERS

Bristol City Council has infuriated some taxi drivers by announcing plans to make them sit a test. However, cabbies at one firm in the city have already passed a National Vocational Qualification exam in Road Passenger Transport (Taxi). SUZANNE SAVILL paid them a visit.

At first glance, it is an unlikely seat of learning. Beyond a white-painted door with the words "Taxis Booking Office" emblazoned on the glass, phones are ringing incessantly, voices are crackling over the radio receiver, clipboards are propped against a wall festooned with bits of paper, and drivers are constantly walking in and out.

Only the presence of a large green and white arch-lever file full of coursework on one of the desks indicates that this busy taxi office is a little different to the many others in Bristol.

Here at B &D Taxis on Fishponds Road, fifteen of the drivers have been doing more than taking passengers from A to B.

They have recently taken exams in aspects of their work ranging from helping passengers with special needs to providing professional customer care, and have obtained National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Level 2 exams in Road Passenger Transport (Taxi).

Proprietor Alan Gleed hopes that ultimately all his 64 drivers will gain the qualification.

"As far as I'm aware we're the only taxi firm in Bristol where the drivers have this qualification," he said. "I think it gives the customer more confidence in us. We recently took on the account of the Soil Association and they were attracted by the fact that we have drivers qualified to NVQ level."

So what does he think of the furore that recently greeted the announcement from Bristol City Council that anyone applying for a hackney carriage driving licence would soon be required to sit a test?

"I'm aware there's been criticism, but my understanding is that the council had come under pressure to bring in a test from some cabbies who were concerned about drivers who didn't have basic English and numeracy skills," said Alan.

As a private hire firm, B &D Taxis - which has various major accounts including Horfield Prison, Avon Ambulance Service and University of the West of England - does not come under the same regulations as hackney taxis which pick up passengers in the street. They can only pick up passengers who have pre-booked a taxi.

However, Alan, 49, decided to encourage his drivers to take the GNVQ qualification after reading about it in a taxi magazine.

"A lot of it's basic stuff," he said, almost apologetically.

"Like health and safety questions about where to find the fire exit or the accident report book, or dealing with passengers with special needs - for example, establishing what sort of vehicle is most suitable for them, helping them into the front or back seat, and folding up their wheelchair.

"I expect my drivers to actually get out of the car and hold the door open for the passenger, and that's also the sort of thing they're expected to do for the exam."

It may seem rather basic to Alan and his drivers, but I suspect it would not to some cabbies - notably many of those I encountered when I lived in London, who often had no sense of direction and vehicles with a spine-shuddering bobsleigh motion and a musty aroma not quite concealed by the pine air freshener dangling from the rear-view mirror.

Cabbies like these probably would not want to have John Hilton and Ted Mason sitting in the back of their vehicles.

They are both employed by PDM Training and Consultancy, which carried out the assessments of the drivers from B &D Taxis for their Level 2 NVQ, which is awarded by the examining body EdExcel.

John, who is training contracts manager for PDM, explained: "A National Vocational Qualification is work-based learning that assesses people on their knowledge, which is funded by the Government through the Learning and Skills Council."

Tim Mitchell, 44, of Kingswood, is one of the 15 drivers at B &D who has so far passed the NVQ - and his standard of passenger service was visible from the minute I sat down in the back seat of his eight-seater Mercedes.

While I slid about trying to find a pen I'd dropped, Tim looked anxiously in the mirror and then politely asked me to make sure to put on a seatbelt.

"I think's it's good to have a proper qualification for taxi drivers," he said.

"Some drivers don't get out of the car when they go to a pick-up.

"They just pull up outside and beep their horn and then pop the boot open from inside without bothering to get out and help the passenger get their luggage in."

Tim, who has been a self-employed taxi driver for four years, and was previously manager of a car hire firm, added: "The stuff in the exam was the sort of thing that I do anyway."

Was it a bit awkward driving customers around while being examined?

"I'd always phone the customer in advance and let them know that there would be someone with us in the car doing an assessment and ask them if they'd mind," he replied.

Back in the B &D office, controller Jason Bullock is monitoring the computer screen on which numbered blue squares are moving around. "These are our cars," he explained. "We can track them at all times using GPS satellite navigation."

On another desk, near a map of Bristol broken up into numbered zones, another screen shows jobs that have been dispatched and their start zone and finish zone.

"These days it's important to provide the best customer service you can in any business," said Alan, who became a director of B &D taxis two years ago, after three years working as a driver and a career in sales before that.

"I keep telling the drivers that they're ambassadors for this company. I can go out and sell them and say how great they are. But at the end of the day, they can sell this company best of all through their professionalism."
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

NVQ? Already on offer in Sheffield but read about Bristol Empty Re: NVQ? Already on offer in Sheffield but read about Bristol

Post by Aftab Thu 15 May 2008 - 17:33

What are your views on this being compulsory for all taxi drivers here??
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

NVQ? Already on offer in Sheffield but read about Bristol Empty Re: NVQ? Already on offer in Sheffield but read about Bristol

Post by Admin Fri 16 May 2008 - 1:10

This has been brewing for a couple of years now but seems making an impact now after seeing standards drop even further. There is however a natural reaction to resist any compultion so look forward to lots of frothing at the mouth by some elder members of the trade.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmed Fri 16 May 2008 - 19:25

Welcome back Admin good to have you back, and did you get that job?
Most of us don't need training after having learned on the job but have to admit it would have been a help if was available before starting the job, for free of course.

ahmed

Number of posts : 224

Back to top Go down

Post by stf Sat 17 May 2008 - 15:00

ahmed wrote: have to admit it would have been a help if was available before starting the job, for free of course.
Just to mention Ahmed it is free because it's funded by the government and I quote from the article above
They are both employed by PDM Training and Consultancy, which carried out the assessments of the drivers from B &D Taxis for their Level 2 NVQ, which is awarded by the examining body EdExcel.

John, who is training contracts manager for PDM, explained: "A National Vocational Qualification is work-based learning that assesses people on their knowledge, which is funded by the Government through the Learning and Skills Council."

stf

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by vulcan Tue 20 May 2008 - 7:17

More info on this it is only free if you are in the trrade already new starters would have to pay its through the government initiative TRAIN TO GAIN for the transport industry, Word of warning to PHV drivers a lot of private hire operator companies are looking at this as a way of backing themselves against the new corporate manslaughter law that came into being recently. This means that they could be liable if one of their drivers was involved in an accident and it was proved that training MAY have help the driver with the situation. I think this will soon be on the table in Sheffield.

vulcan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 20 May 2008 - 17:56

Would you agree then Vulcan that in principle it is a ggod idea to have the qualification?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vulcan Thu 22 May 2008 - 3:14

Would you agree then Vulcan that in principle it is a ggod idea to have the qualification?
Admin
Admin

I can see that private hire operators would see this as a way of being top of the pile and a wau of selling thier business ie, ALL OUR DRIVERS ARE NVQ qualified and trained, HIGHLY TRAINED STAFF, I can personally see the benefits we must be the only profesion that does not need any sort of qualfications to do the job we do! I know that there is a driving test and a knowledge test etc but these are not qualifications are they I can also see that if anything that is made compulsory for existing drivers, there may be some mistrust of the reasons, but I would have thought that this would have to be a done through the Licensing Board and the trades would have a say or make representation about it. ???

vulcan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 25 May 2008 - 7:14

I think not enough is being done to promote the course here with a number of black cab drivers I talked to were unaware of any such course available. I totally agree with any training that gives the trade a more professional outlook. Hoping of course that will then change the public perception of the typical taxi driver, of not knowing his proverbial from his elbow.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Tue 27 May 2008 - 11:34

What happen if negotiation doesn't go the council's way though I fear something on the lines of this item posted on 25th March
Cabbies' suspended for refusing to take exam

by Aftab on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:17 pm
After years covering the streets on their patch, most taxi drivers think they know the business inside out.

But now they have been told the knowledge is not enough - they must go back to school and learn how to lift cases, greet customers and assess their body language.

Cabbies in Bournemouth are furious after more than 100 of them were suspended for failing to take a health and safety exam.

One driver, who has passed the test, said: "It's an idiot's course, it is ridiculous."

The course also covers licensing regulations plus route planning and disability awareness.

Cabbies must attend eight two-hour classes and are given three text books to help them revise.

One book has a diagram on how to talk to passengers.

Green speech bubbles give three examples of how to greet a passenger - "Hello Mrs Smith", or "Nice to see you again" and "Good morning, how are you?"

But 101 cabbies who refused to sign up to the scheme have had their licences suspended.

Frank Shaw, 67, who plans to take the council to court after refusing to take the course, said: "I have been driving a cab for 25 years so why should I have to prove I'm capable of the doing the job? About 80 per cent of what you have to learn on this course is either ridiculous or not relevant.

"I know how to greet a customer and lift a suitcase. I don't need a piece of paper to prove that."

But Councillor Stephen Chappell, of the taxi licensing board, said: "This qualification is vital."
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fairway1 Wed 28 May 2008 - 2:04

sheffield council will do this too brother?

fairway1

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 28 May 2008 - 12:04

Welcome back fairway1, no sheffield council won't do that but as Vulcan has said it does make for a better advert if a taxi firm can boast that their drivers are fully qualified. We have many complaints generated against drivers where the drivers overstep the mark through lack of understanding of the law and the consumer rights etc. I think you will agree that training can help many drivers although I appreciate most already know the job well.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down