Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How about some excersise??

3 posters

Go down

How about some excersise?? Empty How about some excersise??

Post by Aftab Sat 10 May 2008 - 10:51

Derry cabbies fight the flab

How about some excersise?? Th175200827paddyafter07xs8
Taxi driver Paddy Healy in the gym

TAXI drivers aren't known for being trim – long hours sitting behind the wheel, grabbing a bite on the hoof all add up to an unhealthy lifestyle which for many cabbies means more extra pounds on the waistline than in the pocket.
But, thanks to funding from a Lottery grant from the Awards for All programme, taxi drivers in Derry are taking control and steering themselves in a new direction.

The £10,000 lottery grant awarded to the North and West Taxi Proprietors gave 20 local taxi drivers the opportunity to participate in a six-month healthy lifestyle programme called 'Driving 2 Health'.

Derry City Council's Triax Community Sports Officer, Tommy McCallion, was the man charged with transforming the taxi drivers from flabby into fabby through the Bogside and Brandywell Health Forum which also receives support from the Big Lottery Fund.

He explained: "I do a lot of work with the Health Forums but they are more female oriented. We were frustrated that we were not attracting more men so the taxi driver programme was ideal because taxi drivers lead such sedentary lifestyles. We created an 'MOT' especially for them as well as a fitness programme where we asked them to commit four hours a week. In return, gym membership was provided as well as discussions on health issues and topics that most affected them. They were also given a health assessment every six to eight weeks which included a talk about weight management."

While the health benefits were serious business for those taking part, Tommy says he and the participants enjoyed much light-hearted banter as well.

"They were a brilliant group to work with, we had a lot of fun despite the issues being quite intense. Taxi men being taxi men always had something to say and it was a pleasure for me to pilot this project with them. For many of them, going into a gym was a totally new environment, but they stuck with it and many of them are still going. It was a sea change for many, improving their self-esteem and confidence as well as their health.

"I really hope we get further funding to develop the programme and encourage other men to become involved, the taxi drivers really broke the mould!"

The taxi drivers worked out at Pulp Fitness and the Old Library Trust.
Paddy's story:

Paddy Healy is one Derry taxi driver who knows only too well how easy it is to pile on the pounds when stuck behind the steering wheel. A big build by nature, the former tug-of-war champ admits that, since taking up taxiing five years ago, he was tipping the scales at a hefty 22 stones and had reached the point where he looked like he needed a lift - to the nearest maternity unit.!

"I looked like I was expecting twins and was thinking to myself that I really must do something about it when Eamonn O'Donnell, of North and West Taxi Proprietors, asked me to join this programme," said Paddy, who has lost more than three stone since starting last May.

"Tommy really encouraged me – and everyone else in the class. At the weigh-ins and health checks everyone was all in it together, it was really enjoyable. I love walking, so I go for about a four-mile walk, five nights a week. It's great after sitting all day on your backside. I had put on a lot of weight in the five years since I started in the taxis, it got worse when I gave up cigarettes two years ago. When you are eating rubbish, you don't feel you are eating a lot because it doesn't fill you up.

"Tommy really understood the nature of the taxiing business and would always find times for the classes to suit you so that it didn't affect your money. I can't believe the affect the weight loss has had on my stamina. It used to be I would come in from work exhausted, ready to go straight to bed, but now I have a lot more energy and I find I'm breathing a lot easier now that I'm not carrying around all that extra weight."

Paddy's Diet

Before

No breakfast
Mid-morning – 2 sausage & bacon baps
Afternoon – crisps and chocolate
Dinner – Chinese or Indian takeaway or a big roast dinner followed by more chocolate and crisps before bedtime

After

2 Weetabix with hot water
Mid-morning – fruit
Lunch – Chicken salad sandwich
Dinner – Stir fry with lots of fresh vegetables
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

How about some excersise?? Empty Re: How about some excersise??

Post by ray Tue 13 May 2008 - 10:21

After having my badge not renewed recently cos of high blood pressure
I am going to the gym more and finally stopping smoking for good and boy do I feel loads better and smell better!.
Cab drivers,smoking and little excercise do not go together.
How many cab drivers either die on the job or are forced to stop working cos of cancer?,LOADS!.

ray

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Wed 14 May 2008 - 1:19

Yeah but Weetabix with water?? affraid ........ Very Happy
Even if we take up walking a bit extra after work would help and it's free, and that coupled with controlled eating would be a start.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 16 May 2008 - 1:14

All you realy need is a twenty minute walk every day, no need for expensive jim membership giving you lads more risk of a heart attack at parting with the money. Laughing
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum