Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad back?

4 posters

Go down

Bad back? Empty Bad back?

Post by sheffph Sun 27 Apr 2008 - 18:13

I was reading through the taxi driver on line website and came accross this and thought you lads might want a read :-
Interesting case from Dundee reported in today's Courier. It's not on the web so the stuff below is just the main bits. Not sure if the fact that Dundee has a saloon/WAV mix is relevant, but if not then this case must have implications for elsewhere in Scotland??

Dundee City Council has been told by a sheriff that it cannot compel a taxi driver to operated a WAV as a condition of his licensce.

Mr Coutie applied to the council late in 2006 for a taxi licnence, aware a policy was in place requiring the use of certain WAV vehicles by all new licence holders.

He sought exemption based on a back injury sustained while in the forces, and submitted a letter from his doctor stating medical difficulties would make it difficult for him to assist wheelchair-bound passengers.

The council refused to vary its policy and grated a licence with the standard condition.

A sheriff told the council to reconsider but, despite that judgement and a further submission about the applicant's physical limitations, the same conclusion was reached.

The sheriff said: "The bottom line is that no reasonable licensing authority properly considering the special circumstances of an application such as the pursuer's could have come to the conclusion that his was not a special case in which a departure from their policy would be appropriate."

He said it was no justification to insist on compliance with their policy in case it might be an attempt to get round the policy with the employment in due course of an able-bodied driver.

The sherrif determined that it was not appropriate to remit back to the council for further consideration, and ordered the authority to grant Mr Coutie the licence unconditionally.
And if you like a long read then here's the full judgement http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/opinions/B876.html

That may be in Scotland but does it have any significance in law for south of the border?

sheffph

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Bad back? Empty Re: Bad back?

Post by ahmed Sun 27 Apr 2008 - 18:27

OOOOH, I do hope this rule applies down here too, ouch I can just feel a twang coming on, cough cough mst be an age thing :lol
Come back Admin, explain this to us, where is that kid when you need him? Mad

ahmed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Mon 28 Apr 2008 - 15:42

confusing title but otherwise an interesting point. I can't imagin why anybody would wish to go for a car hackney and loose the extra personal protection offered by the partition of a wav, so not too worried about it.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmed Tue 29 Apr 2008 - 1:23

So when he stops working in trade does he pass/sell said licensed taxi to a "normal" driver or hand it back to council? an whilst he is working what if he gets a punter with suit cases, does he say stop here and I'll call another cab?

ahmed

Number of posts : 224

Back to top Go down

Bad back? Empty BAD BACK

Post by vulcan Wed 30 Apr 2008 - 5:38

Sorry to disappoint you lads the law is different in Scotland, this would be quite easily tackled in SHeffield, the guy would have to buy a hackney carrriage that met the current speciifcation and then give medical background (to the licensing dept) and claim exemption from carrying wheelchair passengers, he would then have to display that certificate in his licensed vehicle at all times whilst he was working. OH I forgot though he could apply in Sheffield and then just get refused because we now have a limit.
Laughing

vulcan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Wed 30 Apr 2008 - 8:32

Thanks for clearing that up then Vulcan, the last thing we need is pretend bad back cases adding saloon cars to the plumber vans we already have to put up with. tongue
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down