Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TAXI FIRM GETS GREEN LIGHT

Go down

TAXI FIRM GETS GREEN LIGHT Empty TAXI FIRM GETS GREEN LIGHT

Post by Admin Thu 8 Mar 2007 - 18:33

TAXI FIRM GETS GREEN LIGHT

A TAXI firm has safeguarded more than 20 jobs after planning chiefs gave it the green light to stay open.
Plans to open Whiteleas Taxis in Whiteleas Way, South Shields, were met with 172 objections when they were first put forward in November 2005.
But local councillors Bill Brady and Ernest Gibson backed the plans, saying the new firm would help deter potential troublemakers from congregating in the area.
The firm's boss, Mark Wood, 32, was originally given restricted 12-month planning permission from South Tyneside Council. After being granted a six-month extension last November, the firm has finally been told it can stay open permanently, after residents agreed it had improved the area.
Mr Wood, from Holbein Road, said: "We're delighted the council's planning department has backed the business.
"It means 22 people can keep their jobs and I can invest more money to take on more staff.
"Understandably, there were a lot of objections from residents at first, but since we've been open there haven't been any problems."
He added: "In fact, gangs of teenagers don't hang around here anymore because there are always drivers and booking staff in the building."
Coun Ernest Gibson said: "This is great news for the area, it provides people with jobs and it's always good to see someone showing some enterprise.
Coun Bill Brady added: "We've backed it from the start because we knew it would help reduce anti-social behaviour – and it's worked."
Mr Wood, a father-of-two worked for Nissan for seven years before deciding to set up the taxi business.
He said: "I decided that I didn't want to be stuck on a production line all my life, and wanted to see if I'd be able to set up my own company."
South Shields MP David Miliband said: "I'm delighted that Whiteleas Taxis has had a successful first year in business.
"By working in partnership with the local council, the company has helped tackle anti-social behaviour in the area and I know this will be welcomed by residents of the area."

By DAVID MacLEAN
david.maclean@northeast-press.co.uk
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down