Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cabbies' suspended for refusing to take exam

Go down

Cabbies' suspended for refusing to take exam Empty Cabbies' suspended for refusing to take exam

Post by Aftab Tue 25 Mar 2008 - 16:17

After years covering the streets on their patch, most taxi drivers think they know the business inside out.

But now they have been told the knowledge is not enough - they must go back to school and learn how to lift cases, greet customers and assess their body language.

Cabbies in Bournemouth are furious after more than 100 of them were suspended for failing to take a health and safety exam.

One driver, who has passed the test, said: "It's an idiot's course, it is ridiculous."

The course also covers licensing regulations plus route planning and disability awareness.

Cabbies must attend eight two-hour classes and are given three text books to help them revise.

One book has a diagram on how to talk to passengers.

Green speech bubbles give three examples of how to greet a passenger - "Hello Mrs Smith", or "Nice to see you again" and "Good morning, how are you?"

But 101 cabbies who refused to sign up to the scheme have had their licences suspended.

Frank Shaw, 67, who plans to take the council to court after refusing to take the course, said: "I have been driving a cab for 25 years so why should I have to prove I'm capable of the doing the job? About 80 per cent of what you have to learn on this course is either ridiculous or not relevant.

"I know how to greet a customer and lift a suitcase. I don't need a piece of paper to prove that."

But Councillor Stephen Chappell, of the taxi licensing board, said: "This qualification is vital."

3YEARS Time it takes to learn knowledge

19,000 Number of black London taxis
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down