Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Police station sell-off fears

Go down

Police station sell-off fears Empty Police station sell-off fears

Post by Aftab Mon 18 Feb 2008 - 0:47

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Police-station-selloff-fears.3739915.jp

By Mark Hookham
Westminster reporter

SHEFFIELD MPs are seeking reassurances that plans to sell off a string of police stations across South Yorkshire will not harm frontline policing.
Politicians from across the city have urged South Yorkshire Police Authority to carefully consider the plans.

Nick Clegg, the Lib Dem leader and MP for Sheffield Hallam, said the authority should make sure the force does not "renege" on a pledge that any axed manned police stations will be replaced.

Hillsborough Labour MP Angela Smith said she had not been notified of the proposals, which include the closure of Hammerton Road police station in her constituency.

The Star revealed earlier this week how Hammerton Road is one of 21 buildings on a list to be sold. Senior officers hope to reduce the force's repair bill to £2.9 million.

Other buildings to be sold in Sheffield are West Bar police station in the city centre, an annexe at Castle Green next to the Snig Hill HQ, offices in Wincobank, and section stations at Broomhill, Crookes, High Green, Darnall, Wincobank, Meersbrook, Elm Tree, Ecclesall and Totley as well as a depot at Heeley.

Mrs Smith said: "I am obviously concerned that there should be proper consultation and that we have assurances that services are not affected negatively.

"I will be asking for a meeting with the police to seek these assurances."

Sheffield Brightside MP David Blunkett said: "I would not have major objections to the re-siting of Hammerton Road, if this was to bring accessible policing.

"But the closure of drop-in facilities such as Wincobank leads me to believe there is some confusion about whether the objective is merely to save cash or to provide a more flexible service."

Sheffield Central MP Richard Caborn urged the force to quickly find new uses for the closed stations - pointing out that the small Manor Top station closed and then stood boarded up for years.

South Yorkshire Police Chief Constable Meredydd Hughes said today: "This report is merely an update to the police authority on the level of repairs needed for many
of our older and dilapidated facilities. Most of these have no public access and are
unfit for their current role.

"Any specific closures in the future will be consulted on with the local community."
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down