Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driver had CS spray in his taxi cab

3 posters

Go down

Driver had CS spray in his taxi cab Empty Driver had CS spray in his taxi cab

Post by ahmed Fri 18 Jan 2008 - 15:54

Driver had CS spray in his taxi cab

By Elaine Jinks
A TAXI driver who was beaten and robbed by racist thugs has been caught with CS spray in his cab.

Driver had CS spray in his taxi cab Th1ec1801091701150135hb8
Flashback:
Javid Ali when he was working for GW Taxis and had been attacked

Javid Ali, 29, of Thomas Street, Halifax, admitted possessing a prohibited weapon.

He was given a six-month prison sentence suspended for 18 months and was given a community order for 18 months with a supervision requirement and 100 hours unpaid work.

Bradford Crown Court heard the offence occurred on July 13.

John Bull, prosecuting, said police stopped Ali driving his taxi after 2am in Hanson Lane, Halifax.

He said: "In the course of inquiries, a small CS gas canister was found under the driver's seat of the car."

Ali was arrested and initially denied the spray was his.

He claimed it was pepper spray but later accepted it was CS spray and that he had it for self defence reasons.

Mr Bull said Ali had previous convictions for possessing offensive weapons and in
2004 was convicted of having a similar spray.

Tim Stead, for Ali, said: "He has lost his livelihood because his taxi licence has been revoked as a result of this."

Mr Stead handed in copies of Press reports from November 2006 when it was reported in the Courier that Ali had been the victim of a brutal robbery while working as a cabbie.

He was working for GW Taxis, Sowerby Bridge, when two men he was taking to Pye Nest attacked him.

He was grabbed from behind and punched.

When he stopped the car, two other men joined in and racially abused him.

He was robbed of £50 takings and was left unconscious.

Recorder Mark Cran told Ali: "The court understands that as a taxi driver you do feel concerned for your safety."

He said the assault Ali suffered was "extremely unpleasant" but added: "Possession of a gas canister is completely out of proportion to defending yourself."

ahmed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Driver had CS spray in his taxi cab Empty Re: Driver had CS spray in his taxi cab

Post by john Mon 21 Jan 2008 - 9:06

he should get a big can of air freshner thats not against the law weve got no protection the same every where they dont care bring back kangeroo courts for these b.......

john

Number of posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Driver had CS spray in his taxi cab Empty Re: Driver had CS spray in his taxi cab

Post by ahmed Tue 22 Jan 2008 - 18:32

Heads they win, and tails we loose, simply can't legally defend yourself John, but just hope.........I don't work in cabs anymore but still regard cabbying as a big part of my life, and it's this aspect of the job that put me off taxis, simply depending on the good nature of a bunch of drunks is not enough guarantee of my safety.
Errrr...... and I think if anyone, this guy should have known better, maybe he should take up sprint running instead.

ahmed

Number of posts : 224

Back to top Go down

Post by john Thu 24 Jan 2008 - 10:45

ahmed i know how you feel/ i think is it worth it sometimes but got to pay bills/ had my share of idiots i think you did the best thing to pack in cheers john

john

Back to top Go down

Post by Zee Thu 24 Jan 2008 - 15:37

John, you are always going to get idoits in any job where you are dealing with the public on a face to face basis, and the unsocial hours definately don't help.

Zee

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by john Mon 28 Jan 2008 - 8:33

zee i accept that but what is acceptable and whats not how can they get away with so much /were trying to survive.

john

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down