Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free cab calls seems fare deal

Go down

Free cab calls seems fare deal Empty Free cab calls seems fare deal

Post by Admin Thu 27 Dec 2007 - 15:30

Free cab calls seems fare deal

By ANDREW PICKEN
TRANSPORT REPORTER

FREE telephone calls and mobile phone chargers would be on offer in Edinburgh's taxi fleet under plans being considered by city leaders.
The phone would allow free calls to any non-premium UK landline or mobile number.

The handset would be bolted into place and effectively on loudspeaker mode while passengers spoke into a microphone.

The mobile charger unit would have connections for the four most popular mobile phone manufacturers on the market, in addition to leads for the iPod MP3 player and Blackberry smart phone.

Advertising firm Clear Channel and phone giant O2 are seeking the go-ahead for the scheme - which is already operating in London and Birmingham - from the city's licensing committee.

But the council's independent cab inspector has raised concerns about the possibility of malicious damage to the equipment, while the city's taxi trade is divided on the idea.

Jim Muldoon, the Edinburgh representative of the Scottish Taxi Federation, which represents the vast majority of the city's cabbies, said: "If it is to be a free service for the customers then I think it is a good idea.

"Provided it does not cause a distraction in the cab and it is easy to fit and maintain, then I don't see why anyone would have any objections to this.

"I think it will appeal to the business travellers."

Cabbies would retain control of the use of the phone and chargers as the unit would be remotely locked. Texting and incoming calls would be blocked.

The last entertainment system installed in the back of the city's taxis fell flat on its feet last year.

The firm behind the Cabtivate system - which screened adverts on televisions in the back of black taxis - went bust leaving dozens of Edinburgh cabbies out of pocket.

Raymond Davidson, secretary of the Edinburgh Taxi Association, said: "I have my reservations about this. I don't think the majority of passengers are in the taxis long enough to make it worth their while.

"I can see how it would be useful in cities like London or Birmingham, where people
might be in a cab for up to an hour, but not here. That said, I assume it will be optional and if drivers or firms think it worth their while then they should go for it."

Some of the city's private hire cars already have interactive entertainment systems installed.

The scheme, Tapinto, has news, weather and sports updates on a seven-inch screen built into the headrest of the car front seat.

Passengers are able to access entertainment listings and use the latest technology to download anything from restaurant offers to city maps from the system on to mobile phones.

It is thought the new system would be installed free with the costs picked up by O2 though nobody from the phone firm or Clear Channel was available for comment.

Councillors on the city's regulatory committee will decide on Friday whether to allow the system to be installed.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down