Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How will these kids get to school? Heartbreaking story

2 posters

Go down

How will these kids get to school? Heartbreaking story Empty How will these kids get to school? Heartbreaking story

Post by Aftab Fri 30 Nov 2007 - 15:24

Gloucestershire Echo

November 27, 2007 Tuesday

How will these kids get to school?

A Vital school taxi service for special needs children is under threat.

From January 1, government regulations will stop part-time drivers - mainly young mums and retired people - from driving children with special needs.

The county's biggest provider of transport for children, Denwell Transport, relies on 180 specially-trained part-time drivers to take up to 800 youngsters from across the county to and from school each day.

From next year the drivers, who are currently covered by special insurance to perform the service, will have to pay £1,200 for Hackney carriage or private hire licences.

Bosses at Denwell say the extra cost will put them out of business.

And parents say their children will suffer because they have developed close relationships with their drivers.

Owner Penny Dennis said: "This move is impossible for our drivers.

"They are mainly young mothers and newly retired people.

"They're not professional drivers, and the Government's measure here is like saying you should have to pay £1,200 per year for the privilege of working part-time in a shop for the minimum wage."

Denwell, based in Gloucester, is under contract to Gloucestershire County Council, which has commended the company for its work, including placing it first in a recent value for money report.

The company ferries children to and from more than 30 schools.

Without its main source of business, Denwell is likely to close.

Penny said: "We met the county council on Friday and are sending letters to tell parents that we will be forced to finish at Christmas.

"This is 85 per cent of our business and we won't be able to continue when we lose it.

"Our drivers do far more than just take the youngsters to and from school.

"They get to know them very well and often arrive early to help with breakfast and things like that.

"Because they know the youngsters they are also well aware of their needs and are trained to deal with anything.

"If professional drivers are the only people available will they be fully trained and able to provide the consistency these youngsters need?"

Driver Diane Arnold, who works for Denwell, takes four children to Alderman Knight School daily.

She said: "I got involved when I retired as a home care assistant. I had children of my own with special educational needs and wanted to do something that would help.

"I work from 7-9.30am and then from 2.15-4.30pm every weekday.

"I enjoy it and have built a good relationship with the children.

"I don't want to stop doing this, but when I enquired about getting a licence from Gloucestershire County Council, I was told it would cost £1,200. I can't afford that."

Steve Thompson of Little London, Longhope, sends his daughter Emily, 13, to school with Diane.

He said: "She has Down's Syndrome and the service Denwell provides is great. We are very concerned about what will happen in the new year.

"Diane and the other Denwell drivers know how to handle the children and we're unsure other drivers would be able to do that."

Yvonne Smith, of Orchard Avenue, Cheltenham, is the mother and full-time carer of 11-year-old Jack who is autistic.

She said: "He has attended Bettridge School since he was two-and-a-half. In all that time he has had just two drivers.

"Any change will be devastating to him. Even when the driver is off sick he has a really hard time.

"He relies heavily on routine. This change will really set him back terribly, not just at school, but also at home because his days will be completely thrown out."
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

How will these kids get to school? Heartbreaking story Empty Re: How will these kids get to school? Heartbreaking story

Post by Admin Sat 1 Dec 2007 - 5:22

Why don't these bleeding heart wanabe cabbies do the job properly? Although 1200 for the licence does seem a tad exagerated
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down