Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battling Tony achieves driving ambition Northwich

Go down

Battling Tony achieves driving ambition     Northwich Empty Battling Tony achieves driving ambition Northwich

Post by Admin Mon 12 Nov 2007 - 7:13

November 8, 2007 Thursday

GuardiaBattling Tony achieves driving ambition

Northwich Guardian

A DISABLED man who lost his left arm and leg in a motorbike crash in Northwich has been granted a taxi licence.

Tony O'Brien has struggled to find full-time employment since the horrific accident in Lime Avenue, Weaverham, in 1988.

Aged just 19, Tony smashed into the back of a parked van at 75mph, putting him in a coma for two months and resulting in the double amputation.

Now Tony says the borough council's decision to grant him a taxi licence has given him another chance at making a go of his life.

He said: "I was having real problems finding employment and I felt it was because certain employers are judgmental so this has come as a real relief.

"The council's way of thinking is just excellent and very positive. I did exactly the same medical and knowledge tests as the other drivers and they decided I was as good for the job as anyone else."

Instead of using prosthetic limbs which he says are too clumsy, Tony has learned to do everything from driving to swimming with one arm and one leg.

"You can see some of the passengers scratching their heads when they get in my taxi but its quite simple, I use an automatic car so I only need one foot and I use my arm to steer."

The married father of two still rides motorbikes despite his disability and hopes to start circuit racing next year.

"As soon as I got out of hospital I was back on my bike," he said. "Mum used to threaten to call the police so I would hide it round the corner and sneak out."

Tony works for Sam's Cars in Winsford where he lives with his family, but lived in St Bede's Avenue in Weaverham at the time of the crash.

After leaving school he had hoped to join the Army. Not one to mope, Tony quickly decided he was going to lead as normal a life as possible.

"When I got out of hospital I didn't give myself time to think about how I was going to be mobile, I just got on with it.

"But I did end up stuck in dead-end jobs which was hard because I wanted to work.

"Taxiing is perfect for me. I can fit it in around taking my two kids to Hartford Manor school and it's as flexible as I want."

Clr Keith Musgrave, lead councillor for business management, said: "The council takes equality and diversity issues very seriously. Everyone in our community should have the opportunity to realise their ambitions."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down