Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New taxi cabs spark controversy (Norwich)

Go down

New taxi cabs spark controversy (Norwich) Empty New taxi cabs spark controversy (Norwich)

Post by Admin Fri 9 Nov 2007 - 9:51

New taxi cabs spark controversy

REBECCA GOUGH
09 November 2007 09:47

Taxi drivers are divided over plans for a new-style black cab in the city.

Norwich City Council has strict criteria for the type of cars it licenses as hackney carriages, otherwise known as black cabs, which can be flagged down on the street.

It covers conventional taxis only, such as the Metrocab, but now council bosses are considering whether to add the new Peugot E7 as a hackney that drivers can use.

However, the consultation has split opinion among the city's cabbies.

Those in favour claim it is more environmentally friendly, cheaper and has better disabled access.

However, those against do not believe there is a need to replace the black cab and worry that introducing a new vehicle would prove confusing for people wanting to flag a ride home.

Malcolm Colman, a city-based taxi driver for 10 years, said: “I think there are safer vehicles and, as for disabled people, most of the cabs at the moment have a fixed ramp and if they don't, like me, then we carry a ramp in the boot.”

Mark, who has spent 11 years driving black cabs, said: “I don't think it is a good idea. Some people already try to flag down private hire vehicles. If you add another hackney cab into the mix it will just make people even more confused.”

However, James Cullabine, who has been a taxi driver for 20 years, said: “It is more economical, greener, half the price and in my opinion better for disabled people and the elderly.

“They are very popular in London and all the old black cabs from there are being brought here which increases our emissions.”

The original proposal for the new vehicles was put in last year by city cabbie Patrick Keenaghan.

It was turned down because it did not meet the correct specifications but, following a public consultation, members of the city council's regulatory committee are being recommended to vary the specification and allow it to be licensed.

Mr Keenaghan, 46, from Norwich, said: “It's all about choice and I've got nothing against the cabs but I'm just saying drivers should be able to choose from more, as at the moment drivers have only got the choice of one new vehicle.

“They're better for the public and more environmentally friendly and they're just a car that is perfect to be a taxi.

“They're cheaper as they cost around £23,000 rather than the current £43,000 and they're more accepted by the public.”

The proposal will be discussed at City Hall on Tuesday at 2pm.

Do you have an issue you want us to investigate? Contact reporter Rebecca Gough on 01603 772428 or e-mail rebecca.gough@archant.co.uk.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down