Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Test centre Honest or Not?

+2
hassan0105
ahmed
6 posters

Go down

Test centre Honest or Not? Empty Test centre Honest or Not?

Post by ahmed Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 11:03

Carrying on from the discussion in the wrong section about test centre, and the question posed by sheffPH, does anybody else have any views on what should be done?

I can't prove either way, but as Hassan0105 has pointed out, so many people making the same accusation can't all be wrong, or can they?

Is the problem still continueing or was it solved years ago and we are just suspicious without good reason?

Have your say!!

ahmed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Test centre Honest or Not? Empty Re: Test centre Honest or Not?

Post by hassan0105 Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 10:01

ahmed wrote:Carrying on from the discussion in the wrong section about test centre, and the question posed by sheffPH, does anybody else have any views on what should be done?

I can't prove either way, but as Hassan0105 has pointed out, so many people making the same accusation can't all be wrong, or can they?

Is the problem still continueing or was it solved years ago and we are just suspicious without good reason?

Have your say!!

Nothing was solved I think it was a cover up as someone else has posted .

*80plus signatures 200 to 300 confirming can never be wrong
presently same old story but different approach i.e. fail the cabs until the caby hires certain 'mechanic' at a cost of around £40. before any one asks for proof ask cab owners majority hire these to avoid extra cost, fees, loss of work and hassle . very crafty!

hassan0105

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by stf Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 11:46

hassan0105 wrote:

presently same old story but different approach i.e. fail the cabs until the caby hires certain 'mechanic' at a cost of around £40. before any one asks for proof ask cab owners majority hire these to avoid extra cost, fees, loss of work and hassle . very crafty!

Hello hassan0105, I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you, hope you will be with us for the duration. I have read back some of your contributions and it makes for disturbing reading. Your quite hysterical rantings against the Licensing section and the unsubstantiated allegations against the Test centre staff is entertaining, but alas without substance. I have never handed a bribe to anyone, and no mechanic nor tester has ever suggested anything of the sort. I have almost always taken my own vehicle to the test centre and am quite happy about rectifying any faults that they point out. The test centre staff have never failed or pointed out a fault that wasn't there. If bribery is as rife as you suggest, then why would they have passed my vehicle without it?

My theory for drivers asking mechanics accompanying the cab is firstly for a second opinion for reassurance that what is being marked down as a fault, does actually exist. Secondly it then is responsability of the mechanic who has done the preparation work to get his act together and not face embarrassment of his work failing. The £40 or so is the standard fee for the time the guy is gone from his work place to the test centre, and not a bribe of any sort. To make such outrageous accusations is irresponsible and deliberately ignoring facts in favour of sensationalism. I accept that there may be minor adjustments or a bulb replacement etc that a mechanic may promises to rectify, and the tester saves them a return trip on trust that the job will be done, whereas he may not give the owner driver that benefit of doubt. That is not bribery, but common sense hassan0105. No serious fault is let go and licenses have been suspended with mechanics stranding by helplessly. I have witnessed that happen too, and funnily enough it was one of the mechanics accused in the past dispute. No mechanic can guarantee a pass, and none has ever done either, but only show confidence that after they have carried out the work, they think it should pass.

Nobody likes to pay, but the nature of the trade is such that repairs have to be made and cabs have to be tested and costs are involved, it's part of the business. I hope you can respond to the points I raised, calmly please. I appreciate this is an issue close to your heart, but all you have given so far is your own and other peoples' opinion, and I gave you mine.

stf

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by stf Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 11:47

ahmed wrote:Carrying on from the discussion in the wrong section about test centre, and the question posed by sheffPH, does anybody else have any views on what should be done?

Have your say!!
Ahmed Sahib, you still causing trouble? Laughing

I have had my say, so what are your thoughts. Did you not ever take you cab down to the test centre yourself? I recall you did, and it passed Laughing

stf

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 12:04

ahmed wrote:

To answer the OP question, I think so. I am yet another one of those who don't take any mechanics and apart from a minor compliance fault it went OK. I appreciate there are concerns of people who have had some bad experiences in the past but I can't claim to have been victim of any conspiracy so no reason to complain I'm afraid.

I have no qualms about mentioning Iftikhar's (Nanna) nephew Bilal having done the work and it passed without any problems.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650

Back to top Go down

Post by sheffph Tue 8 Sep 2009 - 2:59

Well, I am glad no one brought racism into it ..........yet.
I posted a question in QnA and got this response from the Licensing
Currently the complaints procedure is as follows if the complaint is in relation to the physical testing of the vehicle, the owner or licensee has the right of an appeal to VOSA, (vehicle inspectorate) in line with MOT referrals. If the complaint involves how you were dealt with as a person or a complaint against a member of staff, The staff at Staniforth Road are Council employees although not directly employed by the Licensing Section there are proper council complaints procedures to be adhered to and any compliant recieved in writing has to be dealt with by the way of the complaints procedure. If the Taxi testing does not remain a Council procedure part of the tender process was for applicants to provide and evidence their complaints procedures.
Can I ask if the people who are now complaining, followed that procedure?
I have heard complaints but never met anyone who offered to get cab through test for a fixed sum of money. Besides why would you wish to get a unroadworthy cab through test by bribing people and then drive that cab yourself, just doesn't make sense. Aren't there easier and cheaper ways to kill yourself?

PS And errr I'd like to thank Licensing for replying to my question promptly.

sheffph

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Tue 8 Sep 2009 - 6:52

Yes SheffPH, with reference to the case hassan refers to, all procedures were followed and he is right nothing much came of it. The impression of corruption was perpetuated by some mechanics who liked to imply they have some kind of understanding with the testers. The whole thing came to an unsatisfactory conclusion as no one was found to be at fault.

That said, we can't be sure the same situation exists today, and particularly as you and sft have posted not everybody is pointing a finger at wrongdoing.
The problem is as you have pointed to, in that most drivers are unwilling to challenge the judgement of the testers, and follow up with proof of their wrongdoing.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stf Tue 8 Sep 2009 - 14:01

I was really looking forward to coming on here this evening and reading Mr hassan0105's reply, but maybe later:lol:

stf

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 18:30

stf wrote:
hassan0105 wrote:

Hello hassan0105, I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you, hope you will be with us for the duration. I have read back some of your contributions and it makes for disturbing reading. Your quite hysterical rantings against the Licensing section and the unsubstantiated allegations against the Test centre staff is entertaining, but alas without substance. I have never handed a bribe to anyone, and no mechanic nor tester has ever suggested anything of the sort. I have almost always taken my own vehicle to the test centre and am quite happy about rectifying any faults that they point out. The test centre staff have never failed or pointed out a fault that wasn't there. If bribery is as rife as you suggest, then why would they have passed my vehicle without it?

My theory for drivers asking mechanics accompanying the cab is firstly for a second opinion for reassurance that what is being marked down as a fault, does actually exist. Secondly it then is responsability of the mechanic who has done the preparation work to get his act together and not face embarrassment of his work failing. The £40 or so is the standard fee for the time the guy is gone from his work place to the test centre, and not a bribe of any sort. To make such outrageous accusations is irresponsible and deliberately ignoring facts in favour of sensationalism. I accept that there may be minor adjustments or a bulb replacement etc that a mechanic may promises to rectify, and the tester saves them a return trip on trust that the job will be done, whereas he may not give the owner driver that benefit of doubt. That is not bribery, but common sense hassan0105. No serious fault is let go and licenses have been suspended with mechanics stranding by helplessly. I have witnessed that happen too, and funnily enough it was one of the mechanics accused in the past dispute. No mechanic can guarantee a pass, and none has ever done either, but only show confidence that after they have carried out the work, they think it should pass.

Nobody likes to pay, but the nature of the trade is such that repairs have to be made and cabs have to be tested and costs are involved, it's part of the business. I hope you can respond to the points I raised, calmly please. I appreciate this is an issue close to your heart, but all you have given so far is your own and other peoples' opinion, and I gave you mine.
Hello stf, I am not sure how you have assesed my comments as 'hystrical rantings'. you either did not understand my comments or you do not wish to side honesty. I was not the only one making thses accussations against the test centre there were 200 to 300 hundred lincesees. Since there were 300 cabs in total then so it represented vast majority of the hackney trade.
From your own account you are aware of people paying £40 to 'mechanics' when your taking £5 an hour why are you forking out £40 for no reason. as far as faults are concerned they are very clrearly marked so you not need any mechanic to be present. I wonder if your acting as or trying to act as a 'good buddy' to some one and trying opposing honesty and facts.
I do not think I will be posting any more here as I do not wish to contiminate my clear, honesty and mind. farewell and good luck

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 18:54

Aftab wrote:
ahmed wrote:

To answer the OP question, I think so. I am yet another one of those who don't take any mechanics and apart from a minor compliance fault it went OK. I appreciate there are concerns of people who have had some bad experiences in the past but I can't claim to have been victim of any conspiracy so no reason to complain I'm afraid.

I have no qualms about mentioning Iftikhar's (Nanna) nephew Bilal having done the work and it passed without any problems.

Hi Aftab, You mentioned Iftikhar since you know him next time time you meet him, ask him or his brother what went on previously. I can not say that every licencee is oe was effected majority was without a shadow of doubt. Ask Nanna, his brother, mushtaq, Tariq, Hafeez, Ibrar, etc.etc.etc. too many to mention -none can deny it.

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by john Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 7:08

if any ones cab fails the mot it fails for a reason/ if drivers serviced there cabs more it woudent fail the test with so many faults some dont do it till test date wots the prob?

john

Number of posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 15:50

hassan0105, I have mentioned your comments on the rank, and as expected got a mixed response from friends. There are many people who would disagree with you, as have John and STF others. Their opinion is equally as valid and all the more so because it provides a balance in a debate.

hassan I regrett you no longer wish to post on here but it is only by talking and arguing that we come to an understanding of our trade and the people within it. Your views have been read by many and talked about on the ranks, and that I would regard as progress. Our trade needs an open and honest debate on certain issues and saving yourself from contamination is not the way to go about it but perseverance.

I do know some of what happened but perhaps not the full details, but the point I was making was that I took my own cab and without a bribe it passed. That is no way an isolated case
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stf Fri 11 Sep 2009 - 3:20

hassan0105 wrote:

Hello stf, I am not sure how you have assesed my comments as 'hystrical rantings'. you either did not understand my comments or you do not wish to side honesty. I was not the only one making thses accussations against the test centre there were 200 to 300 hundred lincesees. Since there were 300 cabs in total then so it represented vast majority of the hackney trade.
From your own account you are aware of people paying £40 to 'mechanics' when your taking £5 an hour why are you forking out £40 for no reason. as far as faults are concerned they are very clrearly marked so you not need any mechanic to be present. I wonder if your acting as or trying to act as a 'good buddy' to some one and trying opposing honesty and facts.
I do not think I will be posting any more here as I do not wish to contiminate my clear, honesty and mind. farewell and good luck
I appreciate you feel strongly about this subject and maybe with good reason, but try looking at it from a perspective of someone like myself who hasn't been through such negative experiences that you describe. I think it's sad when people can't bear anyone having an alternative view to themselves, but as Aftab has said there are some of us who don't think there is the corruption that you speak of. I only gave my own example of my vehicle passing after a fair test, so hows that trying to please somebody else that you infer?
Are you seriously expect all of us to just accept what you say and ignore our own experience?

stf

Back to top Go down

Post by stf Sat 12 Sep 2009 - 21:51

It's gone ever so quiet again hasn't it,........hellooooooo!!! ANYBODY THERE???

stf

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Tue 15 Sep 2009 - 2:55

Ha ha!
Both of them, the OP and hassan0105 seem to have lost interest in the topic, it seems. STF, you were bit harsh on the chap, I think he was only venting his frustration as most taxi drivers do. Have you ever seen a happy taxi driver? Sorry, to rephrase that, have you ever seen any taxi driver who is happy with this trade of ours?
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down