Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW DRIVERS TERMS OF LICENCE (LAPSED LICENSES)

+3
ahmed
hassan0105
Licensing Section
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NEW DRIVERS TERMS OF LICENCE (LAPSED LICENSES) Empty NEW DRIVERS TERMS OF LICENCE (LAPSED LICENSES)

Post by Licensing Section Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 3:42

There seems to have been some confusion in what the Policy on new drivers means to current drivers who let thier licences lapse and apply beyond the date of expiry of thier licence. I have tried to explain the situation below, if you need fruther clarification please either make comment on here or ring licensing on the usual numbers.

Any new driver to the Council, (never held a licence in the past) The Licensing Board have only give delegated powers to Officers to issue a licence to that person for 9 months for the first licence and then 12 months for the second licence and then on application for the 3rd Licence grant a normal term licence of 18 months.

Current drivers who allow their licences to lapse.

The legal situation with any person who allows their licence to lapse is that any application made after the expiry date of a licence is deemed to be a NEW application to the Council, you cannot renew something that has expired.

Although this is the case we have the following set procedures for licensing officers to adhere to in such cases.

1. If a Person makes an application within one calendar month of the date of expiry of his licence i.e. 15th August expiry must make an application before the 14th September. Then officer will accept the application as a LATE RENEWAL the cost will be that of a renewal and the Licence will be issued under delegated powers if there is no reason for referral, or the driver needs a medical, as soon as practicable from the date of application. The appropriate term licence will be issued, if the driver had an 18 month licence previously then they will be issued with an 18 month licence.

2. if a person makes an application after one calendar month and up to 12 months after the expiry of their licence, they will be classed as making a new application and will be asked to PAY a new application fee rather than a renewal fee. Licensing Officers will process the application but no licence will be issued until all external checks are returned (CRB DVLA etc) and any medical that needs to be passed.

Once these checks have been returned and their is no reason for referral then a licence will be issued for the appropriate term depending on the applicants previous licence term,

I hope that this clarifies the situation for you.

Licensing Section

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

NEW DRIVERS TERMS OF LICENCE (LAPSED LICENSES) Empty Re: NEW DRIVERS TERMS OF LICENCE (LAPSED LICENSES)

Post by hassan0105 Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 21:57

i can not believe this. should we not help people in work? By NEW DRIVERS TERMS OF LICENCE as posted by Sheffield SC Licensing are we not reating unfair and unjust hurdles in way of people trying to work?
9 months licence for full fee, then 12 months for full fee again is most unfair and unjust and trying to keep people out of work- very friendly City Council!

hassan0105

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

NEW DRIVERS TERMS OF LICENCE (LAPSED LICENSES) Empty Re: NEW DRIVERS TERMS OF LICENCE (LAPSED LICENSES)

Post by ahmed Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 9:31

A breath of fresh air, well said hassan, I agree it seems just a way of milking more cash out of the drivers to me. What do you think to the Union guys who couldn't bring themselves to raise any objection to this?

ahmed

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 11:04

what do think to a Union which does not raise objection to something unfair and unjust as this? what do you think to Licensing Department who spend their time thinking how to squeeze pennies out of people who pay thier salaries anyway? and what about the people who adopted such an unfair rule which puts people off even trying to obtain a badge? Is this a forward looking Council! DONOT THINK SO GOING FROM BAD POLICIES TO WORST! totally agree with you Ahmed MILKING MORE CASH WITHOUT ANY REGARDS TO PEOPLES WELFARE

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 11:07

Is anyone is aware that City Council testing centre charged £25.00 for retesting head lights? (othere then Mr Liaqat)

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 11:45

Welcome to the Sheffield taxi forum hassan0105, you have stirred Mr. Ahmed into action so welcome back to Ahmed also Wink
I just wanted to point out that the fee structure for various services offered reflect5s the needs of running a self financing department like Licensing. The money has to be found from somewhere and if it wasn't imposed on the new drivers then it would have to be imposed on the existing ones. My guess is that would have caused more complaints.

As for the union representing the drivers, we don't make personal comments about them as it could cause friction on the ranks, and helps no one. The have to be given credit for doing the best they can under the circumstances.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 11:50

hassan0105 wrote:Is anyone is aware that City Council testing centre charged £25.00 for retesting head lights? (othere then Mr Liaqat)
That does seem high, but as you probably are aware the Licensing section don't decide what is charged at the Test Centre. They are supposed to work to an agreed formula, so are you suggesting they didn't abise by the agreed price structure for retesting?

Last edited by Aftab on Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 22:32; edited 1 time in total
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmed Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 11:59

Thank you Mr Aftab:lol: I am always on line but you guys seem to have abandoned this site so I haven't bothered either. It's nice to see someone expressing emotion on here and I agree with hassan on this one, you are being an old softy!!

ahmed

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 7:41

Brother Aftab thank you for your comments. Yes I believe there is no consistency at the Test Centre, I have seen two vehicle failer sheets in for the samke faults- both failed on head lights out of alignment, one paid £25.00 for retest, the other paid £5.00 for the retset. The only difference was that the later licensee hired a 'mechanic' (at a cost ) to go to station with him. The other licensee refused to hire one these 'mechanic'. I wonder what else goes on there!

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 8:10

I accept your point there have been areas of concern for many years now but the nature of accusations has been such that no one has been able to prove anything like that would be required in a court of Law. The mechanic connection and alleged bribary has been investigated in the past and a number of employees were suspended pending investigations. Again it came to nothing because of standard of proof has been lacking.

If it's any consolation it's not the Licensing Section, but the staff at the test centre that fingers have been pointed at and in many cases out of sheer frustration at cab having failed and needing someone to blame. There may not be any answers to some of the questions but this practice of mechanics accompanying the cabs to the test centre and charging the divers extortinate amounts of money has to be discouraged. The only people who can do that are us drivers. I can't see that happening tho' can you?
Let's hope more security will be built into the system for testing in the future with demise of the Staniforth Road testing Station.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 12:03

Have we got a date when the Bin department kick out the taxi testing?
Do the licensing get a cut from the fees they put towards the bin department?

tony

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 22:29

tony wrote:
Do the licensing get a cut from the fees they put towards the bin department?
scratch Wha'? A cut from the fees they put towards the bin department? If you mean getting some kick back for putting work their way, then I doubt it but of course the Licensing are best people to answer that one, but I doubt that is the case though.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Licensing Section Thu 27 Aug 2009 - 3:17

Firtsly let me say that it is great to see the trades (non union) people discussing matters openly. I will try and clarify a few points that has been raised in the last few posts.

Firstly NEW drivers, I can say that the Licensing Officer(s) did not recommend or make the decisions on this also all trade associations at the meeting raised objections and all had a fair time to have thier say. You have to remember that really the trade associations do not represent drivers until they become licensed?

The Board was attended by most of the Licensing Boards 15 members cross section parties.

I can also add that the trades and current drivers MAIN complaint is that there is too many DRIVERS and not enough work to go round.

Also that costs to you have risen every year including the fees. I can tell you that renewal fees have not been increased for over 4 years.

What has been done is increased the fees we charge for other things like replacement badges, plates and Adevrt consents etc, this is to offset the costs to the majority of the licensees to keep the main costs to drivers at current prices. The Licensing Office Costs have risen in those last 4 years.

Testing centre - We have no influenence on price or the testing staff, we do not get any monies from the transport budget. There is no CUT from fees at testing centre. But we have to wait and see what the tender for testing of vehicles outcome is.

What I can say is that we now have a testing manual which is available at cost (sorry) of £5 per manual what this does say is what standard a vehicle will be tested to. Any person/mechanic will know what is expected at test.

Whether the testing will be transfered to different garages or remains at staniforth rd these manuals and testing regimes will remain and this should allow more transparency for customers to the testing services.

Licensing Section

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Tue 1 Sep 2009 - 11:10

[quote="[u]Licensing Section"]Firtsly let me say that it is great to see the trades (non union) people discussing matters openly. I will try and clarify a few points that [/u]has been raised in the last few posts.

I can also add that the trades and current drivers MAIN complaint is that there is too many DRIVERS and not enough work to go round.

THERE TOO MANY VEHICLES NOT DRIVERS. IT IS THE VEHICLES THAT CARRY THE PASSENGERS. THERE FAR TOO MANY CABS THAT IS WHY THERE IS NOT ENOUGH WORK. VERY BAD PLANNING BY LICENSING TO ISSUE SO MANY PLATES. 800 PLUS CABS< HOW MANY RANKING PLACES?

Testing centre - We have no influenence on price or the testing staff, we do not get any monies from the transport budget. There is no CUT from fees at testing centre. But we have to wait and see what the tender for testing of vehicles outcome is.

BUT YOU ALLOWED MONOPOLY ON TESTING OF VEHICLE EVEN AFTER KNOWING WHAT WENT ON THERE. MY VIEW IS THAT THIS MONOPOLY LEAD TO BRIBES ETC. LICENCEES HAD NO ALTERNATIVE AND HAD TO PAY BRIBES OR LOSE INCOME. STANIFORTH ROAD HAS NEVER BEEN FAIR FOR AT LEAST TWENTY FIVE YEARS> LiCENSING HAS BEEN UNAWARE OF THIS I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by tony Wed 2 Sep 2009 - 2:56

I'm not critising you hassan0105, in fact you have got me thinking as well, but do you know to write in capitals is equivalent of SHOUTING!!Laughing

tony

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Licensing Section Wed 2 Sep 2009 - 4:01

THERE TOO MANY VEHICLES NOT DRIVERS. IT IS THE VEHICLES THAT CARRY THE PASSENGERS. THERE FAR TOO MANY CABS THAT IS WHY THERE IS NOT ENOUGH WORK. VERY BAD PLANNING BY LICENSING TO ISSUE SO MANY PLATES. 800 PLUS CABS< HOW MANY RANKING PLACES?

Before making such great rash statements, please check the facts, 850 hackney carriages, 1100 private hire, 2465 DRIVERS. There are more drivers than vehicles.

BUT YOU ALLOWED MONOPOLY ON TESTING OF VEHICLE EVEN AFTER KNOWING WHAT WENT ON THERE. MY VIEW IS THAT THIS MONOPOLY LEAD TO BRIBES ETC. LICENCEES HAD NO ALTERNATIVE AND HAD TO PAY BRIBES OR LOSE INCOME. STANIFORTH ROAD HAS NEVER BEEN FAIR FOR AT LEAST TWENTY FIVE YEARS> LiCENSING HAS BEEN UNAWARE OF THIS I DO NOT BELIEVE IT![/quote]

Please put any evidence in writing, and involve police, accusations of these types have a proper way to be dealt with. As we have told others? in the past.

Licensing Section

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 2 Sep 2009 - 22:12

hassan0105, these accusations are of a serious nature and are largely based on speculation, rather than hard evidence. So speculating about someone or an organisation without proof may be seen as a slur, and as such against the spirit of forum rules.
Sound advice from Licensing to take up any accusation of such serious nature with the Police and seek justice.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sheffph Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 5:01

I've on job twenty odd years and heard all sorts but never come across anybody that said give us some money and I'll pass your car without checking it. We always get rumors but never any proof from a person who has handed money over. Why is that do you think?

If there is any corruption then the drivers taking part in it are as bent as those taking bribes, if there is any truth in allegations that is. So maybe we can start the clean up closer to home Hassan0105? What do you think?

sheffph

Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 6:04

tony wrote:I'm not critising you hassan0105, in fact you have got me thinking as well, but do you know to write in capitals is equivalent of SHOUTING!!Laughing

i was not aware of this and therefore sincerely apologise to you and all others. i will be carefull in future. do not believe in shouting not in my nature, but not very computer literate. is it o.k. to underline and/or bold . thanks again for pointing out my mistake

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 6:18

Licensing Section wrote:THERE TOO MANY VEHICLES NOT DRIVERS. IT IS THE VEHICLES THAT CARRY THE PASSENGERS. THERE FAR TOO MANY CABS THAT IS WHY THERE IS NOT ENOUGH WORK. VERY BAD PLANNING BY LICENSING TO ISSUE SO MANY PLATES. 800 PLUS CABS< HOW MANY RANKING PLACES?

Before making such great rash statements, please check the facts, 850 hackney carriages, 1100 private hire, 2465 DRIVERS. There are more drivers than vehicles.

BUT YOU ALLOWED MONOPOLY ON TESTING OF VEHICLE EVEN AFTER KNOWING WHAT WENT ON THERE. MY VIEW IS THAT THIS MONOPOLY LEAD TO BRIBES ETC. LICENCEES HAD NO ALTERNATIVE AND HAD TO PAY BRIBES OR LOSE INCOME. STANIFORTH ROAD HAS NEVER BEEN FAIR FOR AT LEAST TWENTY FIVE YEARS> LiCENSING HAS BEEN UNAWARE OF THIS I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!

Licensing Section wrote:Please put any evidence in writing, and involve police, accusations of these types have a proper way to be dealt with. As we have told others? in the past.

i was not comparing in numbers as you have very cleaverly done so merely stating that there were too many cabs, not enough ranking places. too many cabs and not too many drivers= less work - not a rash statement but facts or are you saying that6 the only complaints are about too many drivers and not too many vehicles, if so i do not agree with you

your statement 'please put any evidence in writing, and involve police, accusations of this type have a proper way to be dealt with. as we have told others? in the past'

dont this mean that others have made such claims? 80 plus signed to say this true. in a meeting at the pmc between 200 to 300 all agreed. One guy in that meeting stated that he is willing to give evidence that he has witnessed mony given to an examiner.even if you look at this sight carefully there is others who have stated so There is far too much evidence of but no one seems to care

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 6:23

sheffph wrote:I've on job twenty odd years and heard all sorts but never come across anybody that said give us some money and I'll pass your car without checking it. We always get rumors but never any proof from a person who has handed money over. Why is that do you think?

If there is any corruption then the drivers taking part in it are as bent as those taking bribes, if there is any truth in allegations that is. So maybe we can start the clean up closer to home Hassan0105? What do you think?

did you not attend the meeting at pmc? 200 to 300 drivers agreed. are they all disgruntled and wrong? 80 plus signed a letter to say that this went on? were all of these wrong? If these were wrong then these could have been prosecuted.
thank you sheffph

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by hassan0105 Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 6:45

Admin wrote:hassan0105, these accusations are of a serious nature and are largely based on speculation, rather than hard evidence. So speculating about someone or an organisation without proof may be seen as a slur, and as such against the spirit of forum rules.
Sound advice from Licensing to take up any accusation of such serious nature with the Police and seek justice.

i am sorry if i offended any one or acted against the rules of the forum. there are other similar comments from at least one other member. all so please read my comments in reply to so called ' sound advice from Licensing to any accusation of such nature with the Police and seek justice'

I have no intention of supressing my true feelings and facts, then do you think i should unsubscribe? awaite your reply. as far as hard evidence is concerned 80 plus gave in writig, 200-300 confirmed in meeting at pmc. yes it could be reported to Police ( i think it was repoerted but they did not do much) Does not Licensing have a responsibilty to sort it out especially when it involved carry members of public in these vehicles. I would have thought that when there is this sort evidence and complaints an ordinary M.O.T from any other Testing Centre would have been much preffered and safer? Please inform me if this is against the rules of Forum if it is then you will not hear from any more?
Thank you

hassan0105

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftab Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 9:16

The whole point of this forum would be defeated if we didn't have the courage to listen to different opinions and even those that we don't agree with. In defence of Admin I would point out Hassan that he is not one of our Drivers but merely keeping an eye on running of this site for us on a voluntary basis. So his advice would be regarding safeguarding the legal aspect of what's posted on here.

I think you will agree that sometimes you and I would feel strongly about an issue which other people unrelated to this trade would find trivial to say the least. So I wouldn't wish to stifle debate but I am sure we can still dicuss things without going over the bounds of legality.

I must confess however of being ignorant of full details the meeting that you have rteferred to. I do recall some issue being raised, but that was some time ago and that almost all the staff having changed since then, but as I don't take an active role in taxi politics anymore, maybe I blame myself of not keeping up with the times and information

You see another example of why we need people like you to introduce an alternative approach on here.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 11:19

hassan0105 wrote:
i am sorry if i offended any one or acted against the rules of the forum. there are other similar comments from at least one other member. all so please read my comments in reply to so called ' sound advice from Licensing to any accusation of such nature with the Police and seek justice'

I have no intention of supressing my true feelings and facts, then do you think i should unsubscribe? awaite your reply. as far as hard evidence is concerned 80 plus gave in writig, 200-300 confirmed in meeting at pmc. yes it could be reported to Police ( i think it was repoerted but they did not do much) Does not Licensing have a responsibilty to sort it out especially when it involved carry members of public in these vehicles. I would have thought that when there is this sort evidence and complaints an ordinary M.O.T from any other Testing Centre would have been much preffered and safer? Please inform me if this is against the rules of Forum if it is then you will not hear from any more?
Thank you
I feel everything that needed top be said, has been said by Aftab. I do not generally take part in discussions and feel this is your forum for you lads to talk over issues that are close to your heart. My aim is to facilitate open discussion and not to stifle debate in any way. In this case I was merely pointing out that with little in way of proof, we as a forum, may be on thin ice by inferring that another body or organisation is corrupt etc. I am not aware of the history of these underlying disputes and will go no further in debating something I have little knowledge of.

So in short hassan0105, you are welcome to post anything you wish, as long as it doesn't include personal abuse or slander, which I'm sure you seem skillful in language enough to avoid anyway.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-03-08

https://taxiforum.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmed Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 16:21

Well said hassan, that investigation was a stitch up, and as expected they looked after their own boy in the end. Everybody who had paid their extra tenner for every test knew the guy was crooked but when they asked him, he said, "No", and that was enough for them to declare that he was clean, and surprisingly telling the truth. What did they expect him to say?

But to be fair though he was released from testing duties soon afterwards as politicians retire to spend more time with family etc, he left too. I'm no longer in trade so don't know what score is at the mo. Our Union has always been a group of yes men, all looking after their own interests. Harrison got his little contracts and Hafeez trying the same thing now, using your name and the union as a spring board to better things for themselves. Nothing ever changes, best get out if you can while you can IMO.

ahmed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next