Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taxi driver clashes with pop legend

2 posters

Go down

Taxi driver clashes with pop legend Empty Taxi driver clashes with pop legend

Post by Aftab Fri 11 Jan 2008 - 3:27

Taxi driver clashes with pop legend

Video
See the "offending" video - excluding the music! http://www.lep.co.uk/video.aspx?VideoPath=PRES/drive_around_preston512k_stream.wmv&VideoID=11546&ArticleID=3658429

Paul uploaded the video of his drive down a Preston street onto YouTube

By David Coates
A taxi driver from Lancashire is at the centre of a row with one of the world's biggest-selling music stars.
Paul Gunson, better known as the blogger behind Adventures of a Taxi Driver on lep.co.uk, uploaded footage of himself driving down a street off North Road in Preston onto video-sharing website YouTube – with the sound of Let's Go Crazy by Prince coming from his stereo.

That was enough for the site to pull the film – called A Drive Around Meadow St, Preston – after pressure from Prince's NPG Records label who insisted it violated copyright.

The Walton-le-Dale dad-of-two said: "I never thought for a minute it would be a breach of copyright. It was an original CD I bought and it just happened to be playing in my car at the same time as I was filming.

"Prince has been on a bit of a crusade about this for a while about footage fans uploaded of his recent concerts, but this song is from 1984 – plus it was a CD I bought and the money made its way to him.

"I guess he had every right to ask for it to be removed, but it does seem a bit petty."

An email from YouTube told Paul: "This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the material as a result of a third-party notification by Prince/NPG claiming that this material is infringing its copyright."

Prince fanatic Paul, who even spent his wedding night watching the star, said the saga would not stop him enjoying his pop hero's music. And he still has videos showing the streets of his home town on the site.

Paul said: "I was at school when I started being a fan and back then he was
everything. All my money went on his records."

A spokesman for YouTube said: "Every original content creator on YouTube is a copyright holder, from amateur users to the largest media companies.

"We strive to provide a clear, transparent process for all copyright holders to follow, which is both flexible and fast for copyright holders, but still fair and transparent to all of our users."
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Taxi driver clashes with pop legend Empty Re: Taxi driver clashes with pop legend

Post by stf Fri 11 Jan 2008 - 11:25

Not much of a news story is it? Only proves some taxi drivers have too much time on their hands.

stf

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down