Sheffield Taxi Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sheffield Taxi Forum
Sheffield Taxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man shot in Sheffield attack

3 posters

Go down

Man shot in Sheffield attack Empty Man shot in Sheffield attack

Post by Aftab Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 5:10

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/LATEST-Man-shot-in-Sheffield.5580857.jp
Man shot in Sheffield attack

Disturbance: More than 30 people fought near the Common Ground centre off Empire Road
Published Date: 24 August 2009
A 25-YEAR-old man was shot in his right arm during a disturbance involving more than 30 people in an inner city Sheffield suburb.
The attack happened in the Empire Road area, off Abbeydale Road, Nether Edge, early on Saturday evening following the street confrontation.

Several people living in the area rang police saying they had heard a gun being fired and officers were sent to the scene.

Shortly after a taxi driver called the police saying he had picked up a young man with a bullet wound in his right arm.

He was taken to hospital for treatment but his injuries were not said to be life threatening.

Syed Masu Shah, who has owned a grocery on Abbeydale Road for over 40 years, said there had been a big disturbance up the hill around the Common Ground community centre off Empire Road.

"There were more than 30 people in the street, arguing and fighting - it was quite a big disturbance but I don't know what caused it," he said.

"But it wasn't the first time I have seen trouble like this in the area - it has happened three or four times before. My shop was still open at the time and the police arrived soon after."

Ian Clarke, 45, who has lived on Empire Road for most of his life, said his wife had heard a lot of young people shouting soon after teatime.

"It was my wife who heard a couple of bangs that went pop! pop! Soon after that it calmed down. Later on police arrived in force along with the police helicopter and a section of Emily Road was taped off for several hours.

"This area can be very quiet but we do get groups of youths hanging around the community centre and there are various stories about what they get up to."

A student living in Emily Road said the helicopter had patrolled the area for some time, searching gardens with its searchlight.

"It was such a powerful beam, like something you see in the X Files or something. The road was taped off until quite late but the police wouldn't tell us what they were looking for - now we've heard what happened we're assuming they were searching for the weapon," he said. One mother, also from Emily Road, said she had been left feeling nervous by the whole affair.

"There had been people milling around earlier and then I heard a bang. It makes me nervous but it makes me angry too," she said.

"There are a lot of young children living in this area and when something like this happens then it affects people's every day lives."

A police spokeswoman said inquiries were continuing into the incident but the investigation at the moment was still in its very early stages.

"We are keeping an open mind as to the motive at the moment," she added.

Police are asking witnesses to call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or to call the incident room on 0114 296 4371.
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Man shot in Sheffield attack Empty Witness appeal over shooting

Post by Aftab Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 22:48

Witness appeal over shooting

Published Date: 25 August 2009
By polly Rippon
DETECTIVES investigating the shooting of a 25-year-old man in a leafy Sheffield suburb said today they were confident it was a targeted attack.
Detective Inspector Bob Chapman said he believed the victim was targeted and the risk to the public was low, following the attack on Empire Road, Nether Edge.

He declined to comment further on a possible motive for the shooting.

He told The Star: "No-one has been arrested yet but we have launched a very intensive investigation. We take gun crime in Sheffield very seriously, and officers from Operation Scimitar, set up to tackle gun crime in the city, are investigating.

"It is my belief it was a targeted attack and therefore, in my view, the risk to the public at this stage will be low."

The man was shot in the right arm at around 6.30pm on Saturday evening in the Empire Road and Emily Road area of Nether Edge.

Locals reported witnessing a mass disturbance involving up to 30 people shortly before the attack.

A taxi driver called police saying he had picked up a young man with a bullet wound to his right arm.

Det Insp Chapman said officers had mounted extra patrols in the area in the aftermath of the shooting and said police officers would remain in the area to reassure the public. The 25-year-old man, who has been undergoing treatment for the gunshot wound to his right arm, was today described as being in a stable condition in hospital.

Appealing for witnesses, Det Insp Chapman said: "We are urging anyone with information to come forward in confidence."

Call 0114 220 2020 and ask for DI Chapman or contact the incident room on 0114 296 4371.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Witness-appeal-over-shooting.5584054.jp
Aftab
Aftab
Admin

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Man shot in Sheffield attack Empty Re: Man shot in Sheffield attack

Post by tony Wed 2 Sep 2009 - 2:52

People are getting shot up all over the place, what's happening to Sheffield guys????

The poor kid who was murdered on Scraithwodd Drive R.I.P
Makes you want to give up this job with all the nutters about these days.

tony

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by sheffph Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 5:06

He might have delivered takeaway to ours at Hillsborough. Condolences to family and I hope they catch the scum who did it before they more damage to others. .......................................R.I.P.

sheffph

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down